d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hogs started showing up in the fields and behind the house again so I reset one of my pens. Had this one this morning. Probably 150 pounds. I cant catch a sow with little ones so I guess I can only catch one at a time. But at least thats one that will not be back on the place, unless it's in the deep freeze ;D ...d2

Attachments

• DSC03282.JPG
    DSC03282.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 699

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoke that dude and put in the freezer. Second thought ship him to Nana40's place to get rid of the snakes. :D
They sure damage a place up don't they.
Burdie

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I like your new pet...Is is name Hambone??? ;D :D ;D.

Looks like you can get some sausage, ham, and ribs from him.

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The damage they do is terrible and they do cut down on the snake population but I would rather have the snakes than the hogs. I have about decided that "Ol' Hambone" is gonna be the guest of honor at a 2 day hog cookin'...d2

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
OK..since I really don't know..is that a wild hog or domestic pig that is on the loose? If it is a wild hog are there lots of them around your area...

Dave

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All the hogs are domesticated but are ferral, they have been turned loose and are wilder than a buck deer. Yes we have probably close to 3 million here on the place. They are reproducing faster than I can catch or kill 'em. They fields are in such bad shape that I cant even give the hay away since the hogs moved in and started rooting them up. Rooting makes the fields rough and you have to go real slow over them with your tractor and equipment. I have disced them up and smoothed the fields out and the stinkin' hogs move back in. I got 2 hog pens/traps set and we are hunting them about 2 times a week. Maybe if nothing else I can run 'em off for a while. Oh how I hate the things...d2

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Missouri they are proliferating so fast the the conservation department is encouraging all to shoot them on sight...Myself when I hunt them....I never see them!.....Steve

S

stefen

I have seen hogs copulate but never proliferate...do they wear protection?

I always though proliferation is what the government does to the farmer...like the Good Hands insurance people...one finger at a time. :tard:

Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up.

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
They are here in Michigan now.
Reports from our Dept. of Natural Resources of feral hogs attacking livestock and folks on horses.
They want us to shoot on site if you .........have any type of hunting license. They just want the animals heads for research.
They claim they are running in pacts like wolves around here.
I havent seen any in the wild but I expect that the problem will get much worse around here.

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You dont even have to have a hunting license down here and it doesnt matter if you are a local or from another state. I am fixing to put out a corn feeder and a deer stand here in a day or two so I will have a place to spend the afternoons...d2

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
When you shoot 'em, do the coyote's and other wildlife clean 'em up and haul 'em away for ya?

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If they are sow hogs I skin them and make sausage. If they are boar hogs the coyotes usually have 'em cleaned up in two days...d2

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am afraid they are like the [Fire Ants], it is a losing battle, I've seen two on the higthway (road kill), & an elderly couple were chased to their vehicle by a herd of hogs, some hunters fear them more than bear around here. Fossis....................

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
How much does average hog weigh?

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Average would be hard to say. Depends on wether they have a lot of groceries. But around here where I live I would say 80-100 lbs for an adult hog. I have caught them befor that weighed 250 or better and have seen 'em that weighed close to 400. They do more damage than folks can straighten up by all the rooting they do...d2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread