Whats this snake ??

hdcb

Greenie
Jul 3, 2008
Found this snake sunbathing on the beach and I've searched for hours trying to identify this thing but I just can't find anything. I live in Vancouver, BC and 'apparently' there are only around 8 or so snakes that live in BC and none of them are even close to looking like this baby, it was a beautiful snake. Do any of you know what it is ? It looked black + grey but if you looked closer, or shot a picture of it, it was actually kind of blue-ish. (The pictures make it look even more blue because it reflected my flash. So any pictures you might find elsewhere may not be as blue, but maybe a grey.)

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Blue Racer, Non Poisonous. they have one heck of an attitude tho.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 507

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
that there is one of them Peeyourpants when ya step on me snakes. I hate any snake venomous or not.

OP
OP
H

hdcb

Greenie
Jul 3, 2008
Nah, this was one of those 'someone get me my f***ing camera' snakes, just because it was so awesome :D

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Certainly looks like a 'racer',but I thought they were strickly a midwestern item.Found lots of them when I was a kid here in MO,but haven't seen a 'racer' in yrs now.Guess they have moved to ocean-front property.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh yuck.... double yuck.. I do not like snakes of any kind..

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool little guy and excellent photos. What kind of camera do you have?

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Blue racers even Live in Canada. There are 3 different types of them but as babies there color is more vibrant and will fade as they shed a few times.

OP
OP
H

hdcb

Greenie
Jul 3, 2008
rferris75 said:
Blue racers even Live in Canada. There are 3 different types of them but as babies there color is more vibrant and will fade as they shed a few times.

This seems like a good explanation actually, beacause it was only 2 feet long and pretty feisty ... But am pretty sure racers dont live west of alberta ... :icon_scratch: You never know though :-[

OP
OP
H

hdcb

Greenie
Jul 3, 2008
willieboyd2 said:
How did you get him to sit still for the picture?

He was pretty calm, I just moved slowly and stuff. I guess it depends on the snake though because I know some species, like garters snakes for example, just dart as soon as they see you.

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's a cool racer, I used to see plenty of those when we lived in Northern Indiana, but I didn't know they ventured much farther North :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread