Lets see your veggies

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Let's see your veggies

Back in the 70's, when I was a Milwaukee cop, there was this guy selling his garden goodies out of the back of his pick-up. Saturday mornings all the neighbors bought from him. He would come down the alley beeping his horn. BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEP. "Tomatoes, potatoes, celery"! I worked third shift and HATED it when he came down the alley, BEEP BEEP, waking me up! One day I finally had enough! I went down and told him it was against the law to use a warning device in such a manor and I would have him arrested. The next day.... Sunday... he NEVER came on a Sunday...he was BACK! "Tomatoes, potatoes, celery"! But this time he was ringing this GIANT school bell. DING-A-LING, DING-A-LING-LING!!! He won.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Little update. We are now getting tomatoes by the bucket load. This is the third bucket to get harvested not counting the ones that have been getting eating daily and the ones we had to toss. We didn't support a lot of them properly and they were touching the ground and getting worms. Tried straw but that only saved part of them. Lesson learned; won't happen again. We are also eating some delicious sweetcorn, peas, beans, zucchini and melons. My grandaughter said, now that we have fed her all these great veggies, she is going to get home, eat store-bought, canned veggies and get sick. :D

Attachments

• tomatoes.jpg
    tomatoes.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 205
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh yeah, we started a second garden right next to the first with more corn, pattypan squash, ambrosia melons, more tomatoes, bitter melon, okra, zuchinni, golden zuchinni, giant pumpkin, spaghetti squash, various hot peppers, cucumbers, peas, onions, carrots and lettuce. Our first frost averages around Nov. 15th so, we think we can get it all grown except the pumpkin. That will take some special care to make it.

Attachments

• 2ndgarden.jpg
    2ndgarden.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 197
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks wolf.....the grapes and peaches are doing great also.

Attachments

• grapes.jpg
    grapes.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 191
  • peaches1.jpg
    peaches1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 186

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Hello all,,,
Some nice looking gardens there. This is our 3rd year at this place for our garden. It's only about 30' L x 15' W although I guess it's big enough for us as we have a hard time keeping up with all the tomatoes we get. Have had lots if reds ones already as well as frying up some yummy green ones. The Roma tomatoes are so thick they fall off the vines before we can get to them. Also have had lots of cucumbers for only one plant. The one shown in the picture below is the largest so far. We also planted some Concord grapes and built an arbor for them although I don't think they're going to produce much this year...
Veggies.jpg

I also recently added a few old metal wheels on the ends from a hay rake to the arbor which made it look much better and should also give the vines something better to grab hold of...
Arbor.jpg

Hope ya all have good luck with your gardens and get plenty of goodies...
Have a great day, Leon...

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice Leon. When those grapes really get going, you won't even see the arbor! :wink:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That did it I am comming for a visit, now just where do you live? I need directions! ;D

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

When your garden is 40 miles away, you get to harvest brutes like this. A yellow striped tomato.

edit- And I'm trying to decide when to harvest this watermelon:

Attachments

• Yellow Striped Tomatoe.JPG
    Yellow Striped Tomatoe.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Watermelon.JPG
    Watermelon.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 130

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread