Meet Mr. Black Racer

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
This gentleman has occupied the tractor shed since Spring. I needed the 'Murray' belt package to get numbers for a new belt, but he seemed to be claiming it for himself.

One day, he ran down into a 5gal bucket, so we covered the bucket and gave him a ride to the creek. In the confusion of releasing him, I reached down to pick up our dog just as Mr. Snake was shaken from the bucket. Mr. Snake tried to run between my legs, saw me and headed towards the creek. Apparently not fond of water, he made another run past me and back toward the house. A couple of weeks later, here he is in his favorite hangout. At least the mice are leaving things alone now. :wink:

Attachments

• MVC-547F.JPG
    MVC-547F.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 491
  • MVC-546F.JPG
    MVC-546F.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 500
  • MVC-549F.JPG
    MVC-549F.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 491
  • MVC-548F.JPG
    MVC-548F.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 489

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
He is a very nice looking snake, but just finding one that close would give be the willies. I know that they are not poisonous, but just being that close would freak me out. Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If hes been there that ling I think he deserves a name. Seeing as he is part of your extended family now. Does he pay rent? hahahahahaha
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Beautiful snake. the last pic was like he was posing.

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I gave him a name so I could call out as I'm unlocking the doors, so I don't startle him into striking. "Hello Mr. Snake, I need to borrow my lawnmower, I won't bother you if you don't bother me." I'm a nut, eh? :P

My Grandmother told me stories of people getting sick from a black snake bite, but if he keeps the Copperheads and mice away, I'll chance it.

Most snakes are as afraid of you, as you are them. And won't stand their ground against you in most cases. The worst thing is to startle or step on one. If they hear you coming, you usually won't see them. However, I've noticed our water snakes being more brazen and outgoing than in the past. The kids were throwing rocks at a few and the snakes behaved as if they were playing dodge-ball. Instead of disappearing, they swam around in a small area below our dam, dodging rocks.

I thought he was posing too, in that last shot. He's such a ham. ;D

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Or I could call him you'reokaslongasyoudon'ttrytobiteme. Just to keep the point fresh on his mind.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic of the big ham himself and I agree if he keeps the mice away and poisonous snakes he stay as long as he wants, but ya gotta come up with a good name for him! ;D

vabeachrob

Jul 26, 2006
SE VA
They dont make you sick when they bite you. Ive been bit a few times by them. They're only mean when you first try to pick them up, then gently hold them, and let them wander around your hand and arms, and they calm down in literally seconds. Ive put them around my neck and shoulders and they'll sometimes just sit there.

P.S. This is a 3 year old picture... lol

Picture227-1.jpg

This one i found in barn about a month ago.

HPIM3097.jpg

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pet the kind you dont have to feed or clean up after stays outside and your mom and her friends dont have to worry about sitting down on it! ;D

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excavator said:
I gave him a name so I could call out as I'm unlocking the doors, so I don't startle him into striking. "Hello Mr. Snake, I need to borrow my lawnmower, I won't bother you if you don't bother me." I'm a nut, eh? :P

My Grandmother told me stories of people getting sick from a black snake bite, but if he keeps the Copperheads and mice away, I'll chance it.

Most snakes are as afraid of you, as you are them. And won't stand their ground against you in most cases. The worst thing is to startle or step on one. If they hear you coming, you usually won't see them. However, I've noticed our water snakes being more brazen and outgoing than in the past. The kids were throwing rocks at a few and the snakes behaved as if they were playing dodge-ball. Instead of disappearing, they swam around in a small area below our dam, dodging rocks.

I thought he was posing too, in that last shot. He's such a ham. ;D

From looking at the last picture, I'd be thinking he's trying to tell you his name is Murray. Since the area looks that clean it seems he's keeping up on his rent, Mice aren't in the picture ;D

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Murray B. Racer it is then.

I think when he's done in the shed, I may move him into the house. I left the deep freeze open because it was empty, a mouse jumped in and starved to death. P.U.

Rob, I think some folks may have gotten infections from the teeth breaking off in the bite victim. I know something bit me while leaning on a creek bank, didn't know anything for a week, lost 20 lbs., and came to life white as a sheet. Think it was a spider though.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excavator said:

I think when he's done in the shed, I may move him into the house. I left the deep freeze open because it was empty, a mouse jumped in and starved to death. P.U.

Couldn't help it!, just had too.... Construction must be as bad in your area as in mine. Pretty bad when there isn't enough in the deep freeze to keep a mouse alive ::)

Just funnin!

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
boogeyman said:
Excavator said:

Couldn't help it!, just had too.... Construction must be as bad in your area as in mine. Pretty bad when there isn't enough in the deep freeze to keep a mouse alive ::)

Just funnin!

Well, you know, fuel prices and all... I've grown fond of Sassafras leaves and Birch bark myself. :P

Maybe I should have planted chicken in the garden.

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
That gives me the heby gebies. I hate snakes. I know some are very helpful and useful, but like my ex-wife, you can't trust them as far as you can spit. That shed would be all his, noooo problem.

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
I would just build a new shed! That snake could have the old one and everything in it. Looks like I know the folks to contact when LLK and I run across any of those beady eyed little mouse eaters! Sorry to all you lovers of the serpant, all I see is a new belt, or by the looks of then picture, new boots and a belt! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread