What Kind of Berry is this?

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
My kids and I have been out picking berries to make Freezer Jam. I have Black Raspberries in my yard so we didnt have to go far for those (I know for sure they are black raspberries). While we were out on my mother in laws empty lot she has up for sale, we came across what we think are Blackberries, (pretty sure they are blackberries) so we picked a bunch and going back to get more so I have enough for Jam. There are also a few Mulberry Trees on this property but no idea if these would work for jam or not. I have only made Strawberry Freezer Jam for now and gonna make the Black Raspberry tomorrow. I will do the Blackberry when I know for sure what they are. :wink:

Anyway's, I found this berry vine in my front yard yesterday. It's in one of the old flower beds that I havent weeded out in awhile. I'm pretty sure it was not there last year. The berries are bigger than the Raspberries but smaller than what we think are Blackberries.

Anyone know what this berry might be? They do turn from green/white to red to black in color like the raspberries.
Img_2693_600x400.jpg

Img_2694_600x400.jpg

Img_2695_600x400.jpg

Img_2696_600x400.jpg

Img_2699_600x400.jpg

This is a comparison picture of 3 types of Berries.
3BerryComparison.jpg

youk

Aug 11, 2007
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Sunray Probe
The mystry berry looks like a wild blackberry to me. Here in Northern NY I have a cultivated
black berry patch and a wild patch. The wild ones I have are on a climbing vine but some around here
grow closer to the ground and look like the ones you have. I have not had Mulberry jam but understand it is quite good. :thumbsup: At former house I had a number of Mulberry trees. The berries always tasted a little bitter :-X to me so I can only imagine how much sugar it might take to make a good jam of them.

Good luck with your berries.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Native upstate NY'r here... I agree they are wild blackberries, which I have seen and eaten in many sizes and shades.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
You are supposed to wait until the mulberries are almost black before eating them, then they are sugar sweet. They also make excellent wine :thumbsup: :tongue3:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a possibility being dewberries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewberry

Don't know about your area, but down here in LA the dewberry is more of a ground vine compared to the blackberry. I prefer dewberries, cause they're bigger & sweeter. Another thing too, the snakes loved blackberry thickets, so be aware as you are picking.

I make many jars of dewberry jam & more of cobbler than anything else. Makes a good topping too over vanilla ice cream.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the reply's so far. Now im really confused :-\ (it's not hard to confuse me really lol) ;D :D

All 3 kinds pictured are wild and they are all different in size, shape, leaves and stem/vine.

I found some info on the dewberry, they sorta look like that but also like the loganberry leaves except the loganberry is dull not shiny like these.

My daughter thinks they might be Boysenberry. The leaves and characteristics do look a lot like the Boysenberry.

The unknown berry has thorns on the stems but im not sure about the little prickly jaggers like the raspberries have close to the berry. I'll check that out tomorrow.

I'll have to get a picture of the Blackberry patch. Those were growing just inches off the ground on single "stems". They were not vines. If this "unknown" berry is a blackberry then I have no idea what the other one is that I thought was a blackberry :-\ ???

The Mulberries are not ripe yet, I've never eaten those so I can't if they are sweet or not but will try them once the ripen. I've read that they are a little more tart/sour than the raspberries and blackberries and the really good ones are at the top of the tree ... just my luck ;D

Here are some pics off the internet I found
blackberry_internetpic2.jpg
this sorta looks like the unknown berry
Boysenberry_internetpic2.jpg
Dewberry_internetpic.jpg
Loganberry_internetpic2.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When we were kids, there was a lady that would pay me & my two buddies 50 cents each to pick all her Mulberries and pick them up off her sidewalk. She hated the stains. We used to spend the money to get some cream & sugar for the berries when we were done. The darker thay are the sweeter they are.

Amazing how simple things used to keep us occupied.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
When picking mulberries, wear rubber gloves, the stain from these berries last longer than printer ink. Also asap, get the purple poop offa your cars and white siding from your garages, my white vinyl sided garage looks like the birds were drunk, and have repeatedly dive bombed it.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
My wife says to get the full flavor from Mulberrys is add some lemon juice to the juice before you make the jam. It brings out the flavor and raises the acid content of the fruit enough to can it.

Clorox will take the stains off the siding ... and the hands, quick.

Thom

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Old Dog for the tips! Where were you when I was a kid? Couldn't figure out how Mom always knew we were snackin on Mulberries. Guess the purply tongue was a dead giveaway :wink:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
boogeyman said:
Thanks Old Dog for the tips! Where were you when I was a kid? Couldn't figure out how Mom always knew we were snackin on Mulberries. Guess the purply tongue was a dead giveaway :wink:

That kind of gave my kids away too.

My favorites were the wild strawberries.

you had to compete with the bears for the raspberries.
But persistence was always paid off with a sweet reward.
Just had to be wary and quick.

The blue berries were good but you kind of had to learn not to eat so many,
they give you the runs in a hurry.
LOL
Thom

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Let's see,

they could be wild Blackberries, Blac k Rasberries, Boysenberries, Loganberries, Dewberries, cultivated Blackberries, Booberries, Berryberries...but definitely NOT Red Rasberries.

take your pick! (pun intended!)

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
LoL Thanks Wes, your a big help!!! :D ;D :wink:

I had a blueberry bush in my front yard too a few back but the bears kept coming in at night and feasting on them. Eventually the bush started to die off and then disappeared. I've alway's wondered where it went ??? After the bush disappeared, my garbage cans were left alone and the bears didnt come back. It was a momma and 3 cubs. I have pictures of them somewhere.

S

stefen

Funny story.

Years ago, I came out of a bluff-top restaurant overlooking Seattle Harbor, that was on a very narrow road, and reaching out over the bluff, picked a blackberry. My sister started screaming at me and gave a gagging signal.

Apparently, at closing time, the drunks releived themselves over the bluff.

Best damn blackberry I ever tasted. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm :thumbsup:

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Tammy,

I'm just a few miles upriver from ya right now. If Mom didn't have my time occupoied I'd have to raid both your backyard and the empty lot (to get some of those unknown berries) and make me a big, juicy, berry cobbler; served warm with vanilla ice cream on top! :tongue3:

This was a "use a voucher before it expired trip" and planned quickly but Mom was quicker with her "to do" list or I would have let you know I was in the area. Gonna come back some time in late August or early September and will see if I can make some time to drop in; you'll just have to give Hubby a heads-up that a guest is coming by for some Mulberry whatever! :tard:

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Thanks Wes, I'll be around so just give hollar when your coming ;D Most of the berries are gone for now in my yard but the empty lot is still producing some. Im pretty sure they are Blackberries like everyone has suggested here. I picked a bunch and put them in the freezer for now. I did a ton of strawberry jam and some black raspberry jam. (my freezer is getting pretty full lol)

I have been busy baking and making jam and then went thru the death of my uncle over the weekend, I havent had time to lurk on here much less post but I do apologize for not getting back to this post sooner.

Very True al pal, I just wish the birds would remind me the berry bushes are nearby some place other than next to the sidewalk in the front yard. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread