• gar8.jpg
    gar8.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 313

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
*Ground Hawk*--*Minelab Quattro*--*Tesoro Tejon*
Great Garden,mine here in NY looks nothing like that.Nice to see the Grandaughter interested..a future gardener!Nice pics also.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I'm jealous, our watermelon has just flowered. But they're moving right along. I'm afraid they'll grow too fast and scrape the sides off them. :P <----<< (joke)

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhhhhhhhh..........fresh beans and cucumbers!
Yeah Nick, I have heard about frying squash blossoms but haven't tried it yet.

Attachments

• gar25.jpg
    gar25.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 256
  • gar11.jpg
    gar11.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 248

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Great job on the garden Packer. Do you can, freeze, or just eat 'em as they come in? Probably won't need to store any scallions by the sounds. :D

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses. CG, right now everything is getting eaten on a daily basis between my sons, myself and some neighbors. Soon though, that will change. There are 34 tomato plants that are fixing to really put out some tomatoes in large numbers. Many of those will be canned to be eaten throughout the year. There are 12 jalapeno plants that are showing signs of an abundant crop. Many of those will be made into "poppers" and frozen. Great snacks those poppers!! Some sweetcorn, peas and beans will also get frozen. We are already getting WAY too many golden and zuchinni squashes so we may have to freeze some of that along with acorn squash when it begins to ripen. The eggplant, honey dew, cataloupe and watermellon will all get eaten. We have some large white and large sweet onions that I hope I can store right in the garden and eat as needed. The cucumbers are getting eaten in salads and just plain eaten right there in the garden but I might try to pickle some just for kicks. My older brother makes some killer bread and butter pickles so I think I'll make my claim-to-fame dill pickles. ;D There will be tons of green, yellow and red bell peppers along with some sweet peppers that get eaten in salads and stirfrys but they prepare well on the barbeque also. We are already talking about a Fall garden to keep the fresh veggies coming.
We also have 4 calves that will be ready by Spring and 16 hens that should start giving us a dozen eggs a day by the 25th of August. Except for pork and beer, we should be pretty much self-sufficient. :wink:

Attachments

• calves10.jpg
    calves10.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 205
  • chicks1.jpg
    chicks1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 208
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733, I found this recipe on the net. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Ever-Jalapeno-Poppers/Detail.aspx
There are many variations that you can adopt for your personal taste. You can use beer instead of milk..my personal choice. :)) You can use cornmeal instead of breadcrumbs etc. Some folks wrap them with bacon and bake them. If you do this, put the bacon in the microwave for a little pre-cooking. Makes it crispier. Most recipes halve the peppers. You can take an old-style potato peeler and "core" peppers and leave then whole. From the stem end, make a seires of cuts around the stem until you can pull the stem and most of the seeds out. Then just clean the inside out a little more which will leave you with a hollow pepper basically. If you want it a little hot, leave a few seeds in there. You can now fill the pepper with whatever stuffing you want. Be creative and enjoy!! They freeze well so you can make a bunch all at once at eat as desired. Little tip here, wear some rubber or nitrile gloves and DON"T RUB YOU EYES!!!

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember you can freeze the bell peppers too! Your garden is fablous , when I was a kid went to see my father in Colorado andwe had garden on all 4 sides of the house just an opening for the driveway. Every evening we would pick just enough salad stuff for that evening wash and eat did not need dressing it was soooo good! Plus we had chickens for eating and eggs! He also raised rabbits and the land lord had corn field 3 sides we were allowed as much corn as we wanted so we ate and froze, plus he worked on a feed lot and every 6 months his boss gave him 8 mo supply of beef> His best friend worked across town on pig lot and every 3 mo his boss gave 3 mo supply they sent me to town for beer too and staples the fresh food was sooo goood! :icon_sunny:

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
packerbacker said:
af1733, I found this recipe on the net. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Ever-Jalapeno-Poppers/Detail.aspx
There are many variations that you can adopt for your personal taste. You can use beer instead of milk..my personal choice. :)) You can use cornmeal instead of breadcrumbs etc. Some folks wrap them with bacon and bake them. If you do this, put the bacon in the microwave for a little pre-cooking. Makes it crispier. Most recipes halve the peppers. You can take an old-style potato peeler and "core" peppers and leave then whole. From the stem end, make a seires of cuts around the stem until you can pull the stem and most of the seeds out. Then just clean the inside out a little more which will leave you with a hollow pepper basically. If you want it a little hot, leave a few seeds in there. You can now fill the pepper with whatever stuffing you want. Be creative and enjoy!! They freeze well so you can make a bunch all at once at eat as desired. Little tip here, wear some rubber or nitrile gloves and DON"T RUB YOU EYES!!!

I was curious how close our recipes were together. Pretty close, by the sound!

I halve my peppers, fill them with low-fat creme cheese, then wrap them tightly in a lean bacon. Bake at 350 until the bacon browns, and definitely, wear rubber gloves! If you get it just right, as soon as you bite into them, the pepper just disappears.

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
I make them also.
I take a half hotel pan and poke holes in the bottom. Flip pan over and you have a little holder so they can stand on end.
Lop the tops off clean out seeds and membranes and stuff.
I do them on the bbq pit and wrap with half fried bacon and run a toothpick to keep the bacon on the pepper.
In the bbq groups there known as ABT's or atomic buffalo turds.
Great eating for snacks, prior to the ribs coming off the pit for slicing.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of soaking the toothpicks in water before using on the bar-b just to keep them from burning easily. Sounds reasonable, I soak the corn husks for a couple hours before putting on the bar-b. Helps keep them from burning and adds some steam to the mix.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread