Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a stone from the area that once was owned by the Miami Indians. Later it was given over to the Potawatomi Indians. The history along what used to be called the Miami River, later called Elkhart River, goes back to primitive times. Where the river ends it flows around some land in a shape that resembled an Elk heart to the Indians. So, the town there got named Elkhart.

Over a decade ago, I traveled down to the Kokomo area to visit a museum, taking some of these peculiar stones with me. The curator of the museum who looked at them, told me they are effigy stones. And I listened to all he had to say about the rocks. One of the stones he turned over and pointed out to me some marking which he said a couple on the bottom side were ancient Runes. Of course I gladly donated these stones to the museum.

The 9th photo here, I got the stone wet so you can see the color. I had a sample of this type rock sent to an assayer in California, who does assays for gold mining companies there...so, the assayer was a reliable one. It assayed to be a type of Glaucophane which is commonly found in association with minerals like Jadeite in places such as some coastal ranges on the West coast United States, many places in Japan.

You see the carving here is identical to the shape of the stone, the shape pointed out to me by the museum curator as effigy. The end has an exposed area very abrasive, probably used to shape stuff, maybe out of wood. I am posting in this board because have just posted some in the Native American board and all the comments made said these are natural...nobody agreed with me... ???

Attachments

• amphrock1.JPG
    amphrock1.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 369
  • amphrock2.JPG
    amphrock2.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 378
  • amphrock3.JPG
    amphrock3.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 366
  • amphrock4.JPG
    amphrock4.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 375
  • amphrock5.JPG
    amphrock5.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 373
  • amphrock6.JPG
    amphrock6.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 370
  • amphrock7.JPG
    amphrock7.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 366
  • amphrock8.JPG
    amphrock8.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 378
  • amphrock9.JPG
    amphrock9.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 353
  • amphrock10.JPG
    amphrock10.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 347
  • amphrock11.JPG
    amphrock11.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 360
  • amphrock12.JPG
    amphrock12.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 366
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah...it is nice to be able to donate to museums and hear what the experts have to say. Here is a link to my thread in the Native American Artifact board, posted some more pics of similar things. I'm still working on convincing the skeptics there I might have something...
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,171558.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread