Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GGGGGGrandfather's 1767 farm in Berks County, Pa

In the late 90's I got very interested in genealogy and spent many hours researching on the web, Historical Societies, and driving to the areas where they lived. I had a bit of frustration tying to find my Surname's original farms, one of which he owned prior to 1767, according to tax records and in total owned two tracts of land, one of 160 and one of 140 acres.

I have found the exact location of the 160 acre farm(Alsace Twp) and thank goodness it is still a farm to this day, with what appears to be only a few small parcels that are now built upon, but most of it appears to still be corn fields and grazing fields for the horses of the current landowner. I am not sure if this is the original land or the second farm he owned that is listed in his estate in 1794. Either way it is one of his original farms.

I have not found the names of the owners of the current property, but my Sister-in-law who lives close by believes they have the same surname as me, so I do hope to find out and without a doubt try and get permission to hunt anywhere on their land.

To find something that could have possibly been owned by my any of my ancestors from the 1700's would be special, and beyond meaning for most of anything else I have ever found.

I have yet to locate the other 140 acre farm, which I fear is now part of a modern housing development, since the name of the road going by it is my surname, I kind of think that the 140 acres is most likely where that development is now located. :(

I was told the stone house in my photos is thought to be from the 1850's, but the individual was not sure. I think the remains of the stone house in my pics is on the property but again, not sure if it is the original house from the 1760's when my ggggggrandfather came over from Germany.

Don

Attachments

• ValentineFarm1.JPG
    ValentineFarm1.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 306
  • ValentineFarm2.JPG
    ValentineFarm2.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 297
  • ValentineFarm4.jpg
    ValentineFarm4.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 296
  • ValentineFarm5.JPG
    ValentineFarm5.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 296
  • ValentineFarm6.JPG
    ValentineFarm6.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 301
  • ValentineFarm7.JPG
    ValentineFarm7.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 308
  • ValentineFarm8.jpg
    ValentineFarm8.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 297
  • ValentineFarm9.JPG
    ValentineFarm9.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 304
  • ValentineFarm10.JPG
    ValentineFarm10.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 294

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Re: My GGGGGGrandfather's 1767 farm in Berks County, Pa

i'm in awe !! Don you and i are are on the same trek learning about our familys past me being an
10th generation the barn looks well preserved and the stone house an spring house looks to me like they
were very prominent people the "craftsmenship" wow !! the log house and smoke house? again well
preserved i hope the stone ruins turn out to be the original homestead and i agree that would be the ultimate
recieving permission to d - tect and finding lost artifacts knowing they might be from your ancestors i'm
sure you'll agree just thinking about it gives me the shivers :D what you're doing is hard work a lot of
time and research i consider myself lucky on one side of my family it's all recorded in 1 book and most
of the homes still remain except our original homestead that one is under about 30 feet of water :(
keep reseaching and searching to keep the history alive for those after us i commend you on what you
are doing and thank you for sharing it

Mike HH

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mark.

Apr 13, 2006

awesome looking site.

You should find some goodies there for sure..........see ya mark

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am so excited for you I would love to be doing what your doing! What a great opertunity, please let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is awesome Don.Looks like a cool place to search and would be sweet if you could find something that could be traced back to one of your ancester's for sure. :thumbsup: Also wondering if you have reletives living in Morris NY by any chance ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful Place Don.

good Luck !

Magic Fingers

Don how awesome would that be to find some of your family history!! I am so happy for you!
I also love working on my family history.
Please keep us posted an your progress.

Donna

odave

Nov 20, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3 DFX

Hope it all works out for You Don !!! Beautiful pic's :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dave

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Yuor story is really why I got in to detecting. We bought my family home, with so much history before hand............I think this is what gets us all started? :)

Thanks for the memories and the reminder. Good luck with your hunt!

Urban Grund

Silver Member
Aug 5, 2007
Southeast Michigan (Roseville)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter > Sharp Shooter II & Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for sharing your story! Good luck in your future searches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread