107.2 KB · Views: 406

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Nice machine.
They make short work out of stumps.
My buddy has one and grinds stumps when time allows.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Yep, sure beats waiting for the ants to eat them.

I cut a Cedar down about 15 years ago and cut grooves in the stump thinking it might rot sooner. The stump almost looks like it was just cut, it sure isn't rotting any time soon. No wonder they make such good fencing.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Excavator said:
Yep, sure beats waiting for the ants to eat them.

I cut a Cedar down about 15 years ago and cut grooves in the stump thinking it might rot sooner. The stump almost looks like it was just cut, it sure isn't rotting any time soon. No wonder they make such good fencing.

I can show you cedar stumps that were cut hundreds of years ago (yes, hundreds) by the Spanish clearing Mule trails through these mountains here. other than turning grey from exposure they might have been cut yesterday they are that solid.

Even if you grind that one down you will probably be able to dig it up in thirty years.

Thom

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Done that kind of work before as a pro. tree trimmer for a large utility company.
They always said that the only thing that outlasted cedar & black locust by about
2 weeks was rocks. You can still find locusts posts used as fencing still standing
that was put in over 100 years ago.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
My dad and I cut down an old tree one time. I can't remember what kind it was, but we dug out underneath it and started a fire with kerosene, coal, wood, and coke. I think dad it this way because a stump cutter was too expensive and he wanted to give me a taste of manual labor. We worked on that old stump for weeks and finally got it out. Stump rot and hand saws did not do the trick. Hard work to dig them out by hand. Great lesson though.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
depending on the size of the stump, I cover it with charcoal and let it burn, it will usually burn down through the root. however, it only works on stumps that are kind of dry

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Oh I know about locust!

That's good stuff!

A friend made a handle for my Dallugi 10 - 15yrs ago, and it's STILL good.

Best $5 I ever spent! ;D

rmptr

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I have about a five acre locust grove. I sold of some for fence post about ten years ago. They make a god cash crop to help pay taxes. I have been planning on building a log cabin in this area where I will retire in someday. Do any of you think the locust would make a good cabin, or would it be to hard to work with. I do know after it has dried out it is very hard. My locust fence posts around the pasture have been there for over fifty years and when I go to repair the barb wire, I can hardly drive a staple into them without bending. If I build the cabin with locust logs, I guess I would have to use them while they are still green and then let them dry and shrink before I do the chinking.
Any of you out there have any thoughts on this?

Thanks to all,
Clayton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread