Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machin's Mills Mint Historic Marker

I was going through some of my folders and came across this photo of my son when he camped out at Orange Lake NY, near the mint and had his photo taken next to the Historical Marker.

The site is on Private Property, but from literature I have read that a visit in 1989 showed that all remained of the mill's foundation was one fieldstone wall approximately 15 feet in length. There was rubble of stone on the other side of the small stream where the mill was located.

It is nice to know that at least a historical marker is there to mark the site of a piece of our early American History.

Don

Attachments

• MachinsMillMintMarker.jpg
    MachinsMillMintMarker.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 232

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Re: Machin's Mills Mint Historic Marker

Well I'll be, I never knew there was a mint in NY. Glad they have a marker. We have lots of historical markers around here, I'm ashamed to say I haven't stopped to read them all, I think I should make a point of it. Well if I can get the Hubby to slow down or stop long enough. :D

You son is a handsome young man Don! :)

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
Re: Machin's Mills Mint Historic Marker

hey work on the other side of the stream and see what you find maybe the owner is greedy and lazy and they will let you md the sight for them and you split it 50/50 good way to get some history in your collection 1737 a good yar for coins well hell 1800's and back is a good year for coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread