Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
Ray- Apple jack may be a American drink but it has DEEP roots back in the old country. Apple jack actually comes from a drink called " scrumpy " I had some while stationed overseas back in the mid 70's. Here is a link and a brief history.

Scrumpy history
Cider has been made in Britain on an organized scale since the Norman invasion. As climatic change made Northern France and Southern England unsuitable for vine cultivation, apple growing and cider became more popular. As virtually anyone could grow a few apples trees on their land the drink became the tipple of the people. It was customary in the 18th Century to pay part of a farm labourer’s wages in cider – typically 3-4 pints a day.

Is cider a health drink?
It may seem like an outlandish idea but as early as 1664 one John Evelyn is recorded promoting cider as a health drink.

And here is the link for the complete story

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/0-9/4realvolvo/features/may2006/eat_cider.html

Thought you might like to know....

PLL

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
mental granny said:
I am never ready for a quiz of any kind ! I just had a 6 yr old crawling into my lap while I was typing soooooo I just hitwhat ever key! Wish I could read apples ! But yours are the only ones I've seen that look good! None in the stores here! ;D

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
pegleglooker said:
hey gang,
Ray- Apple jack may be a American drink but it has DEEP roots back in the old country. Apple jack actually comes from a drink called " scrumpy " I had some while stationed overseas back in the mid 70's. Here is a link and a brief history.

Scrumpy history
Cider has been made in Britain on an organized scale since the Norman invasion. As climatic change made Northern France and Southern England unsuitable for vine cultivation, apple growing and cider became more popular. As virtually anyone could grow a few apples trees on their land the drink became the tipple of the people. It was customary in the 18th Century to pay part of a farm labourer’s wages in cider – typically 3-4 pints a day.

Is cider a health drink?
It may seem like an outlandish idea but as early as 1664 one John Evelyn is recorded promoting cider as a health drink.

And here is the link for the complete story

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/0-9/4realvolvo/features/may2006/eat_cider.html

Thought you might like to know....

PLL

I don't know about it being a health drink but I sure wish I had a cider press. >:(

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Wes the info is correct with the Applejack version >>> However I was referring to our Apple Jacks with cook here in Wayne Co. LOL >> You take triangle shape dough > fill with stewed apples or MY favorite apple butter > fry them to a crispy brown !!! YUM Applejacks !!! Sprinkle with powder sugar !!!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
CarolinaDigs said:
Wes the info is correct with the Applejack version >>> However I was referring to our Apple Jacks with cook here in Wayne Co. LOL >> You take triangle shape dough > fill with stewed apples or MY favorite apple butter > fry them to a crispy brown !!! YUM Applejacks !!! Sprinkle with powder sugar !!!!! :thumbsup:

Now this I'm gonna have to try! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread