Me on my own today on site! More photographs from the air.

D

Doug UK

Photographs taken today using the self timer on the camera and utilising the detector and spade for a tripod.

The tractor is disking the ground for planting this week, this is the field that the gold coin was found last week.

The building in the background is the grandstand for our horse racing course, the cars are at we call a car boot (trunk) sale selling used and unused items. The wooded hills in the background holds Iron Age and Roman settlements.(out of bounds for detecting)
1893220.jpg

The Goldmaxx Power is French made detector which runs in the all metal mode, it comes with on-board electronics installed to run cordless headphones. The headphones are not cheap, $254 and the next one up is $320 list price and the detector is $1338 list. Coil is the 11 inch, retails at $318 (Standard 9 inch with detector)
1893055.jpg

Me! Doug UK
1893047.jpg

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Me on my own today on site!

Hey Doug thanks for sharing great pics and a short History lesson can you add to it and even if there is no detecting can we see some more pics it really is intresting! Thanks !

OP
OP
D

Doug UK

Re: Me on my own today on site!

mental granny said:
Hey Doug thanks for sharing great pics and a short History lesson can you add to it and even if there is no detecting can we see some more pics it really is intresting! Thanks !

Thanks for the interest shown.

Unfortunately the area is nearly all covered in a managed tree programme and is also a scheduled site. (Archaeological)

What is interesting to me in the detecting role is I can detect the fields below the hill. These fields held and billeted troops that lay siege to my town in 1644-5.

Thanks for looking.

Doug UK

Racecourse from the A/C that I fly.
wetpaint005-1.jpg

Corner of the scheduled site.
098-1-1.jpg

The fields that I can detect, notice old field boundaries ?
Sundayflying023-1.jpg

Dark patch in front of buildings old orchard.
Sundayflying024-1.jpg

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool I live in farm counry and cattle ;D so I can tell what you are talking about! Really intersting I think it would still be great to detect in the area you are allowed !

Can you give a little more history?

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Beautiful!

I know where I'm headed to MD next time I plow!

That track looks really smooth from that angle.

OP
OP
D

Doug UK

mental granny said:
Very cool I live in farm counry and cattle ;D so I can tell what you are talking about! Really intersting I think it would still be great to detect in the area you are allowed !

Can you give a little more history?
The siege of Taunton, which lasted for nearly three months, brought to the foreground the jealousies and differences between the Parliamentary commanders. The relieving force under Colonel Holborne found that the Royalists had retired to Bridgwater without making any show of resistance. He reinforced the garrison, realising the danger of further Royalist attacks. The remodelling of the Parliamentary army was followed by the formation of a Royalist associated army of Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and Dorset, with the Prince of Wales as captain general under the King. This force was to be centred on Bristol, with Hopton as chief of staff, and one of its first objects was to retake Taunton. The siege began early in April, 1645, but, though the town was badly damaged, the castle held out until relieved on May 11th by a force under Colonel Weldon sent ahead from Fairfax's army in Dorset. This army then left the west to join Cromwell and defeat the Royalists at Naseby, but its withdrawal relieved pressure on the Royalists in Somerset, who, under the command of Goring, once more besieged Taunton. The return of Fairfax to the west forced Goring to raise the siege and advance towards Langport, where on July 9th he drew up his army in a strong position to await attack. The Parliamentarians were irresistible and routed the royal army. They then pressed on towards Bridgwater, still held by the Royalists. On the way, at Middlezoy, Fairfax met the Somerset Clubmen, local farmers and yeomen, who were sickened with the plundering and the 'pressing' of men into either army, and now wanted peace above all else. Fairfax could spare little time for them but promised that, if they agreed not to help the Royalists, he would pay for all the supplies he needed and ensure that his troops committed no offences against the local population.

More on this site
somerset.gov.uk/archives/ASH/Civilwar.htm

Time for my bed, 00.04 hrs local time.

Doug UK

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodnight I must go somewhere shotly and will ck site out when I gey back what you have put here is very intresting tk Have a good nights sleep :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

OP
OP
D

Doug UK

mental granny said:
Goodnight I must go somewhere shotly and will ck site out when I gey back what you have put here is very intresting tk Have a good nights sleep :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

Your welcome.

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread