Cool here this morning.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I envy all of you who can have a garden.

It was 22 degrees last night.

Where I live high in the Oregon Cascade Mountains, it's possible to get a frost at any time of year, even though we had a day time high of 96 about week ago. (Today only reached 72.)

I forgot and left the hose connected to the hydrant and it froze. This morning when the sun came up and began to thaw the ice, I turned on the water. Begins slow at first til most of the ice is blown out of the hose.

Attachments

• 8 -  26 -  8 002.jpg
    8 - 26 - 8 002.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 8 -  26 -  8 008.jpg
    8 - 26 - 8 008.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 348
  • 8 -  26 -  8 011.jpg
    8 - 26 - 8 011.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 331

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can empathise with you. We are in the high sierras and have been trying to grow a few tomatoes and peppers. Our tomatoes look like a Charlie Brown xmas trees and our poor jalapeno hates the cool nights. The yellow and bell peppers are doing ok though.

About 6 more weeks for us till it starts freezing.
Summer goes by quick in the high elevations.
Steve

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those pics are really neat. Cooled me off, not really looking forward to winter, but a cool snap that would take some of this humidity away.

:wink: RR

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
even cooler for you guys than us...heard on the radio there was a chance of frost tonight but from what I can see it is supposed to be around 40 tonight...hard tellin...not like they always get it right but obviously warmer here then for you!!

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Gracious Ron and Ann !! Love the pictures !! We have just gotten out of the nineties and down in the eighties this week :) I love cold weather > my parents did as well !! We would celebrate if ever we saw snow ;D :icon_scratch: Can't figure how we got to North Carolina :wink:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
The ice from the hose... great pic!

Getting cold here too... :)

I love the Autumn season - it's the most romantic!

Hey Fingers... you get snow yet?

Magic Fingers

Montana Jim said:
Hey Fingers... you get snow yet?

We had snow last week. It didn't stick around but the mountain I live at the base of was covered.
I am hearing we are to have a heavy long winter.
Wonder if it will be like the snow of '96....we had 28 feet that winter...my first Montana winter...lol.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pic!

Hey - there are LOTS of cold weather things you can grow.

Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, 63 day corn (the kind Alaskans use - even has some frost hardiness) and many others.

Try those "caps" for your tomatoes and peppers - it'll help them out, and give you a longer season time.

I love gardens - I've just finished up canning my last batch of tomatoes for the year about an hour ago. Even though its ready to frost (a couple miles down the road already had a good frost), it cold (turn the heat on) nights have made the cabbage really puff out, and it has driven the broccoli insane. I have been doing a batch every 2 days since the nights started getting cold.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread