Can we build it? Wood furnace day one.......and counting

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: Can we build it? Wood furnace day one-three.

COUNTRY GIRL said:
It will have some frustration.......the rest of the black iron pipe may or may not be in for the weekend....start another step and risk an error.....or hurry up and wait? This just might work! :wink:

Hard decision sis! I say pray hard the rest of the pipe is in before the weekend because no way you can get Gerry and the boys to agree to hurry up and wait now....cuz....well this just might work....gotta get it done so we can see! :wink:

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Donna I'll let you know what we think of the Magazine now adays.

Sis, now way they are going to stop now so that pipe better be in. Or....on to phase 2. :wink:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Kim,

The concept is a sound one for a wintertime application.
Are you guys planning on using this to heat your water in summertime as well?
If so, the question becomes one of dispelling heat away from the house.

I use a similar set of pipes that will pick up cold air from the floor and force hot air out the top of the stove.
I see no reason why it won't work with water.
I am very eager to celebrate with you your success!

Thom

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Thom, We aren't quite sure yet. :icon_study: The burner will be enclosed, so if it doesn't heat the garage up too much...............It just might work.

The unit will be enclosed in the garage about 200 feet from the house and heat a lot of area. I'll get the approx. square footage.

The pipe came in, so we cut and bent 39 pieces this weekend. :-\ Ty and I kept switching on who got to hold the pipe. We have the look down pat! :D Then we made sure it was a perfect fit, took it back apart, cleaned it up, ready for welding tomarrow.

Minor set back...........Can't lay on the ground upside down and weld? :icon_scratch: So you make up a rotisserie style unit (last picture) So weld the top, flop it 180 degrees, weld the bottom, flop it again and start all over with the final weld. This just might work! :wink:

Attachments

• stove 002.jpg
    stove 002.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 728
  • stove 001.jpg
    stove 001.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 739
  • stove 005.jpg
    stove 005.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 738
  • stove 008.jpg
    stove 008.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 734

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good Kim!!!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
An excellent job of welding so far!
I wish you guys a "one shot" on this one.
Do you plan on pressure testing some how before the final assby??
Certainly would be a very good Idea.

Thom

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Definitely looking good and Ty is sure enjoying himself! What a project you guys got going and it is progressing well...this just might work!

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
It's a two phase weld, the first rod will be the root, and the second style rod is for the finish. They think they can have the water to it tonight. Pressure test for 12? hours at 150? psi. I may not have the numbers exact, but I think I have it. You wouldn't want this baby to leak. :o

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello,Wow, you folks have got a great looking project going there. That is really making your personal skills pay off in yourfavor. Congratulations on your work. I can't offer any particular advice cause it is a little out of my line but I'mrooting for you and wishing all of the best on it. It sure looks impressive. Ray karenray08

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
It's moving right along Kimmie...and I see you have plenty of help. Just don't let Micki put her wet nose on a hot weld! :o

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Micki stays well out of the way! :D

I was mistaken on the pressure test. You test it with AIR 100 psi for 24 hours. Boy would'nt want me to help there! :wink: Here is the welding job so far, it's taking longer than expected, looks like the final welds will be Monday night. The air should be to it and hopefully no leaks.

Attachments

• stove moon high tensions spider 024.jpg
    stove moon high tensions spider 024.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 646

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Sure looks like a fun project!

Gonna be a task welding around all those pipes up against each other.
Most folks use a coil of pipe to avoid welding up manifolds or expensive fittings.

Small leaks could rust closed and seal themselves,
but heat against the pipes and manifold will cause the metal to expand and contract, though...

...Heat loss in a 200ft run could be considerable, even if insulated.

But I'm glad you're having fun!

Best
rmptr

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Thom, I think it just might work, I have asked a ton of questions and even made a couple of good sugestions :wink:. My understanding of how this is going to work is growing in leaps and bounds.

Rmptr, Thanks for the input. I don't think you can buy a "roll" of 1/4" wall black iron pipe, and looping it through 79 holes would be real tough. The Jig the Guys made up is making the welding process go rather smoothly, just flip it over 180 degrees, and you can get the bottom side. They are welding the pipes in 2 at a time that's why it's taking a bit longer than anticipated. Oh we are not real worried about heat loss, more worried about it getting too hot, that's why there will be dump zones.

We are having fun, it's a learning process, and a big money saver. Besides "This just might work!" :D

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hey CG,

Well, what I've seen done, was standard 21ft joints of 3/4 black iron pipe jigged on a large winch drum and wound onto it... stop and thread a coupling and another joint on... and keep going.
Actually, 1 or 2 coils in a fireplace is enough for dishwashing, or a unregulated-temp shower.
The ones I've seen in woodstoves for washing the dishes at the sink were far less than that.

In the 'way back machine' my buddy had some big mining equipment that worked for the task.
...Now I remember why we had more than one joint... we were in the process of building a steam cleaner and needed more length for a propane burner to get heat to the coil of pipe. I don't think we got it working right... ;D

Yes, too hot is a problem... with many solar heaters and such. It takes an expensive mixer valve to blend the solar heated water into the volume of the gas fired water heater that may be the mainstay of the system.
Last I heard the mixer valve was just under $200. not a clue, today.

Yours sure is fancy, with the manifolds and such... I've never really seen one like that.
It could be better than sliced bread!

Best
rmptr

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I've been taking pictures, and learning tons! :icon_study: Trying to organize the pictures is the tough part. :-\

The heat exchanger had some leaks after the first weld. >:( Funny we kept joking about how it was going to be a leaker. :D Wasn't so funny when it did.

We have hit a bump or 2 in the road...................I have got to tell you this............do NOT try this at home. :wink: Unless you have the tools, the talent, the patients, and the people............you still might not want to try it. :icon_study:

Do NOT buy the plans........they stink! We actually had to go and look at what the plans refferenced to several times, they are far from user friendly or cost effective.

All in all we have her figured out and it just might work! :wink: :D

Here are some pictures, we are actually way further ahead than this, just got to down load the rest of the pictures.......................

More to come..............

Attachments

• STOVE FLAPPER MOON 008.jpg
    STOVE FLAPPER MOON 008.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 466
  • stove9.JPG
    stove9.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 469
  • stove6.JPG
    stove6.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 469
  • stove3.JPG
    stove3.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 469
  • stove1.JPG
    stove1.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 482
  • furnace electrical chip 009.jpg
    furnace electrical chip 009.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 485
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Any questions.............bring them on. :)

Attachments

• stove6.JPG
    stove6.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 439
  • furnace electrical chip 009.jpg
    furnace electrical chip 009.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 454
  • stovemicki.JPG
    stovemicki.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 454
  • stove5.JPG
    stove5.JPG