Eggalanche!!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I'd buy some eggs too Packer. Looking great! :thumbsup:

Oh the memories they bring back, we had the RI reds, banties, 30 chickens as pets. My Mother wouldn't eat the eggs and my Father didn't have the heart to butcher. :D I loved them, the banties would follow me all over the yard, I had one that would fly out every time I opened the door to the coop and land on my shoulder (sometimes my head :-\) .

Great looking poultry you Folks have there!

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My chickens loved me. Would land on my chair if I was sitting reading.
Landed on grandsons head as he was walking in the door, was funny.
Roosters were not welcome. I have no idea how they sex them, but they did.
Once when had 6 Rhode Island Reds, got 5 eggs with yolks and 1 with no yolk.
Didn't know which one it was.
Wish I was not in apt. again.

catchdogcross

Sep 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I raised chickens for many years, finally sold my blue orpingtons flock to someone in VA. I miss them, but more I miss my royal palm turkeys, pretty birds! We had an old tom named Sporty he'd let you pick him up... Anyway, if you need egg cartons best place to get them is a restaurant or bakery, just ask them to set them aside for you. Oh and one more thing, the best eggs always came a day or two after thanksgiving, after the hens picked the turkey carcass clean. All that protien made the eggs HUGE!
Catchdog

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Eggs that come to a point at the thin end are roosters, the ones that are blunt and round are hen eggs.

B

I remember reading that very thing in a Ripley's Believe it or Not book when I was a kid. My friends would laugh at me when I told them I had a Roosters egg. When my loose banty hens go to sitting I always try to put rounder eggs under them and the above does seem to hold true.

HH,

Scott (MI)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread