Whats the fastest car you ever drove?

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
Re: What's the fastest car you ever drove?

camoro1969rs/ss, 396 bb, dual1150 dominators on a victor junior tunnel ram manifold ,lenko 5speed inline ,400 shot of juice ,dana 60 prost rear end , all topped of with mickey rubber and american dragstar rims ,and a nice wide wheelie bar comin out the back. it was painted like a bumble bee back in 1988 took it down kcir at 175 mph in the 1/4 mile got home dad sold the juice set up and put in a huge munsi 4 speed and down sized the 1150 s to a pair of 850s and got rid of the whellie bars before i took it back out and i still had 1,200 bucks in my pocket i still have quivers at night when i hear some one power shifting on the express way after midnight i was only 19 wished i had it today for track use only though fuel is to expensive wouldnt make it from the house to the station i would have to fill a jerry can and the fuel cell to get home now a days

Call me a Plumber

Dec 17, 2007

My little brother had a 69 Charger/383 built to run 750 double pumper sitting on a street dominator high rise intake headers side pipes 70's in the front and rear big lift Cam installed with a six point roll cage in the backseat. He was afraid to max it out so he asked if I could take him for a ride. We proceeded to Smokey check ten-fifteen miles of road and then we turned her around and let her go. Ya see in a Charger it max's out at 140-145 the tack was right at 6000 rpm and kept climbing at about 67 or 6800 I shut her down and was about one third turning the steering wheel and going straight. Let me tell you if we had lost a tire we were dead as the telephone poles on the old Burma road were going by about every second. Ah, the stupidity of youth but it sure was fun. It sounded just like the "General Lee" at high rpm. He later had to sell that beast as the Law was looking for it. The Plumber.

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja

68 coronet r/t 440 built, lol had more money in engine and trans than in the car itself , ran 12's at 107 all day long, not sure how fast it went... speedo only went to 150 painted lime green with a crayola stripe on the back. Jeff of pa may have seen it, sold it to a state trooper up his way around 92. got 4 mpg highway or city it didnt matter and dirt roads were hell from the dual exhaust kicking up dust. have a few pics but no scanner

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Car : '48 Ford/v8 Caddy engine with 2 Carter 4bbls . Enhanced and tied down suspension . Yup , whiskey hauler .
Truck : '93 KW900L double bunk . 460 CAT 'enhanced' ahead of an Eaton-Fuller 18spd sittin on
tall rubber driven by 4:36 gears . Sittin on top of 40 tons doing tripple digits makes 'livin on the wild side' more than a state of mind ;D
I drove that old KW 1 and 1half million miles without a moving violation or chargeable accident .

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja

Produce Guy said:
I got to drive in a Tesla Roadster last weekend and the guy who was driving it reached 110mph on I-35,not bad when you realize that this is an electric car. :laughing7:
They announced today that they didnt get enough orders and its production is canceled, what a shame

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My 1968 Corvette coupe, 427/425 with side pipes and a 3.08 road gear. Probably cranking out over 500 horsepower. Back in those days there was no traction control and tire technology was non-existent. It was a 4 speed and I could smoke em through all the gears. I once ran a 12 cylinder Jaguar from a 100mph roll, backshifted into 3rd and squawked em. He gave up immediately. I took my dad's old time mechanic for a ride and after we peeled his hands off the dash he commented that we were going so fast the telephone poles looked like a privet hedge. Hehehe....loved that car. Wife didn't. guess who won that argument.

Live free or die.
Jim

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja

Took a pic of my pic til I get a scanner ...... I miss it but that prolly means that when I drove it gas was just over 1 $ a gal

Attachments

• IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 525

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

120 but chickened out of going in to 4th gear. My 1963 factory R2 Super Lark.

Attachments

• r2lark.jpg
    r2lark.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 431
  • larkengine.jpg
    larkengine.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 426

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

the fastest I rode in was a 1971 Cuda, around 100 on a gravel road
the fastest I drove was my 1974 Pontiac Ventura, 400 under the hood, 3 on the floor. I spun the #7 rod bearing doing about 140, can't tell for sure, but if you know the speedo in these and other gm's of that age the needle was showing in the odometer opening. young and dumb, feeling invincible, more dumb than anything else :laughing7: :laughing7:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Drove my brothers Lotus Elite once. Hit 110mph in 3rd and it had 2 gears left.
Most powerful was my '67 El Camino with a high performance 396. It would slap your head into the back window if you let it. Black with blue flames nicknamed 'La Bamba'. :laughing9:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

VWandSTUDEBAKER said:
120 but chickened out of going in to 4th gear. My 1963 factory R2 Super Lark.
Vdub - I like those larks, but those are factory wheels and tires?

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas

I think mine was a 65 firebird, pegged the speedo at 150 when I was a kid. She was floating over the hills. I still remember seeing the gas gauge move. Stupid boy.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

I am not in the circles you folks are. I can't tell you the fastest car I ever drove, because I never drove them fast.

I can tell you the car I drove the fastest.

In 1964, I had a 1953 Chevrolet. Those were my crazy years, I calmed down in my military service, 1964-1966.

But, that last year, I was, as I said, in my crazy years. Mostly I drove fast on winding gravel roads, 70 mph.

My car was not normal. I took off the air cleaner, it was an oil bath type. Then, I took off the fan blade.

But the most important thing I did was loosen up the clamp on the distributor, and with the engine idling, turn it for maximum rpm. Suddenly that old babbitt bearing engine found new life.

I would normally shift out of low at 25 or 30; out of second usually at 55 to 65. For those who don't know, a 1953 Chevrolet normally liked to be shifted at maybe 12 or 15, and maybe 30.

One day shortly before leaving for Ft. Leonard Wood I went out east of town, and took a good run at the long hill. That poor car maxed out at 96, a speed I have never driven in another vehicle.

Of course, that was 96 indicated. In that time, it was normal for cars to have very optimistic speedometers, so I have not the slightest idea of my real velocity. Still, it was fast enough to kill me several times over.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

The quickest car I have ever owned was a '66 Fairlane, 390 HP, 4 speed with 3.90 gears, would run 145 and did it several times. I have a Porsche 924 Turbo which is almost as quick. The fastest i have been in a car is 160 in a Jaguar(older type) 12 cylinder. It registered 180 and I believe it would do it. I was scared to be going 160 with my friend, but I was young and naive. rockhound

fortunehunter

Aug 11, 2011
Lumberton, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

I have a fully restored 1978 Corvette.I had the engine completely rebuilt by the Procell brothers.They build engines for the top dragsters in the United States.It is so fast,that I would like to sell it.

Attachments

• Rayfeale Hawthorne 017.JPG
    Rayfeale Hawthorne 017.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 1,453

jeremyjms06

Dec 5, 2011
Phenix City, AL
Detector(s) used
SS11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The fastest was my old 1993 RX7.... was absolutely nothing stock on the car. Was converted from twin turbo into one very large single T-101 turbo.
Second fastest was my old Cobra.... Engine was built by Modular Performance, they built the engine, installed the supercharger and did all tuning on the car. Conservative street tune, the car made 602hp on the dyno.

Attachments

• rx7.jpg
    rx7.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 770
  • cobra1.jpg
    cobra1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 696
  • cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 750
  • cobraengine.jpg
    cobraengine.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 703

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeremyjms06 said:
The fastest was my old 1993 RX7.... was absolutely nothing stock on the car. Was converted from twin turbo into one very large single T-101 turbo.
Second fastest was my old Cobra.... Engine was built by Modular Performance, they built the engine, installed the supercharger and did all tuning on the car. Conservative street tune, the car made 602hp on the dyno.

I was selling Mazdas when that thing first came out. Competition Yellow Mica with Black Suede seats.

The two things that needed to be done to all of them was to improve the cooling system and switch to a single bigger turbo. The original reason for the twin turbos was one small one to give boost from idle to 4000RPM and the second from 4000RPM and above. No turbo lag at all.

When we got our first one, we raced it against our Dodge Store's Stealth Twin Turbo. The first one happened to be a Touring Model (heaviest) with sunroof, Bose Acoustic Wave Stereo, and Automatic. Beat the Stealth by about 10 lengths and won the GM $5000 from the Dodge GM.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions