CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Any other gun nuts here?

I try to stay away from the nuts but I can hang with collectors and enthusiasts.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet. A gun thread. We need pics here, lots of pics. ;D

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Roland58 said:
I would like to hear from any one else that considers themselves a gun nut, I KNOW I am!

Most recent purchases were the Beretta P22 Bobcat and a FNH 17S SCAR.

If you were walking in a wasteland, and came upon two rifles... an AK or an M16, and could pick up only one. which would it be and why?

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

They are both exceptional weapons, I guess I would have to go with the one that had the most ammo. All things equal, I would probably go with the AK for the simplicity and ability to operate in any condition.

Gopher........okay, "nut" was the wrong term to use, but, you knew what I meant. I'm like you, a collector and enthusiast......I have a number of "pride and joys."

Diggin'.......I'll get the collection out for pics in the near future.

While we are here.......I just got a Pelican case for the SCAR. It has the standard three layers of foam, the center which needs to have the silhouette cut out. My question is, how and with what does one cut this so as to keep the edges vertical and even? No problem tracing an outline, I'm just a little hesitant to start slicing away with a razor blade. I need a heated foam cutting wire with a table. I do have a rotary material cutter, maybe that would work?

mikeofaustin said:
Roland58 said:
I would like to hear from any one else that considers themselves a gun nut, I KNOW I am!

If you were walking in a wasteland, and came upon two rifles... an AK or an M16, and could pick up only one. which would it be and why?

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Roland58 said:
While we are here.......I just got a Pelican case for the SCAR. It has the standard three layers of foam, the center which needs to have the silhouette cut out. My question is, how and with what does one cut this so as to keep the edges vertical and even? No problem tracing an outline, I'm just a little hesitant to start slicing away with a razor blade. I need a heated foam cutting wire with a table. I do have a rotary material cutter, maybe that would work?
Check youtube for hot wire foam cutters. That should get you started. You can also check this one out http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=151998. I checked and there is a Hobby Lobby in or around Tyler.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

willie d said:
Roland58 said:
Check youtube for hot wire foam cutters. That should get you started. You can also check this one out http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=151998. I checked and there is a Hobby Lobby in or around Tyler.

I had thought of those, but, they are specifically designed for styrofoam and I am not sure how they would work on open cell foam (more of a sponge material). I have made hot wire cutters for styrofoam, building model planes, but, I just don't think they would work on this kind of foam. I fear it would simply melt the foam, gum up the blade and make a mess.

(still looking for an LC9.....big waiting list at my local gunshop......may just save a little more and get the Colt New Agent)

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mikeofaustin said:
Roland58 said:

I'd go for the one that I had more ammo for. If ammo were equal, well then I'd have to go for the AK. I dearly love the AR over the AK but the AK can take more abuse, a real factor to consider a post apocalyptic world. :thumbsup:

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

DigginThePast said:
mikeofaustin said:
Roland58 said:

I'd go for the one that I had more ammo for. If ammo were equal, well then I'd have to go for the AK. I dearly love the AR over the AK but the AK can take more abuse, a real factor to consider a post apocalyptic world. :thumbsup:

Post apocalyptic world. Amen. I think, and don't let too many people know this, but I was (used to be anyway) a real sniper on a compound bow. If it became a need again, I would be able to survive with such a tool. It's a very quiet and very effective tool. Also, if you're good enough, you can make your own ammo (probably not for compound bows because of the shear force), but it was a very effective tool for millions of years before gunpowder.
The 'hush' factor that I mentioned, is that in the wrong hands, it could become a problem. Let's keep the 'smart' tools in the smart peoples camp.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a few guns and a cannon.The cannon is black powder.30mm made out of a demilled vulcan barrel off a A-10 warthog tank killer.It has a range of 1 mile.We took it to a gun range 2 yrs ago and hit a 55 gallon plastic drum full of water from 1000 feet.Hit it dead center of the big red X we had painted on it.The cannon can also be used with no projectile to make lots of noise.It sits in my front yard now.I also have a glock 19 with a few 33 round mags.A 30mm single shot russian shotgun.A yugo semi auto AK-47 and just got a demilled full auto british sten gun to put together as a semi automatic.And a double barrel ball and cap sea capt'n pistol i think its 50 cal.BTW the cannon is for sale,$1500 cash.It would be great for neighborhood protection for the next revolution.It will really shoot anything you stuff into the barrel.Rocks,rusty nails,marbles,old forks,many lead balls.Or just make your own 30mm bullet heads out of scrap lead.

Attachments

• cannon.jpg
    cannon.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 579
OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No doubt, you get the award for most unusual! Is that a sight I see on the barrel, about even with the plate? How do you keep someone from towing it off during the night.......oh yeah, I forgot, the Glock.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats a red dot laser sight.It would be really hard for someone to get the cannon out of my yard with 2 boats on trailers blocking it in.Plus theres 2 cctv cameras that criss cross my front yard.

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use a Taurus 45 ACP Millennium Pro for my conceal carry. Nice small gun. Light weight 10+1
Some people don't like the Taurus because it is a fairly low cost gun. $350.00 for this one new.
I have fired around 200 rounds with this one. It is a reliable weapon.

Roadquest :coffee2:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea fantastic thread, I agree roadquest, I have a mellinium 40, that is a sweet gun, Nice warranty, cheap, not accurate over 30 feet ( I mean for target, But I can hit a plate beyond that), but that is not where one would be needed. Ak huh? I was thinking about getting one so it can take abuse? Sweet !!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

:thumbsup: Nice little field piece there fisheye, i could have some fun with that :laughing9: . My landlord had a 12 pounder field piece that he use to fire off every forth. Then the neighborhood started getting built up to much and he started to get complaints, after breaking a few windows by the concussion :laughing7:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red James cash said:
:thumbsup: Nice little field piece there fisheye, i could have some fun with that :laughing9: . My landlord had a 12 pounder field piece that he use to fire off every forth. Then the neighborhood started getting built up to much and he started to get complaints, after breaking a few windows by the concussion :laughing7:
I WANT ONE!! That is super cool red, does your neighbor need a storage place further south?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I WANT ONE!! That is super cool red, does your neighbor need a storage place further south?

:laughing9: I want one too, i keep telling him i'll buy it off of him but he never gives me a straight answer

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

I have a few guns and a cannon.The cannon is black powder.30mm made out of a demilled vulcan barrel off a A-10 warthog tank killer.It has a range of 1 mile.We took it to a gun range 2 yrs ago and hit a 55 gallon plastic drum full of water from 1000 feet.Hit it dead center of the big red X we had painted on it.The cannon can also be used with no projectile to make lots of noise.It sits in my front yard now.I also have a glock 19 with a few 33 round mags.A 30mm single shot russian shotgun.A yugo semi auto AK-47 and just got a demilled full auto british sten gun to put together as a semi automatic.And a double barrel ball and cap sea capt'n pistol i think its 50 cal.BTW the cannon is for sale,$1500 cash.It would be great for neighborhood protection for the next revolution.It will really shoot anything you stuff into the barrel.Rocks,rusty nails,marbles,old forks,many lead balls.Or just make your own 30mm bullet heads out of scrap lead.

Very, VERY sadly, this is the kind of thing that puts you on the NSA watch list. However, In 'MY' terms of thinking... you would be a very, very good neighbor to have.

How 'bout them onions'.....

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Very, VERY sadly, this is the kind of thing that puts you on the NSA watch list

If youre a living breathing american youre most likely on the list anyway for one reason or another, especially from the absurd reasons given that americans are under suspicion for being a domestic terrorists. Read that list its quite the laugh seeing as how its written by corrupt pieces of garbage. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread