Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday went out hunting with a couple of friends. We split up and as I came over a hill about 50 yards away, I saw 4 deer. I had an either sex tag so I aimed a the biggest I could see. First shot miss. Second shot I thought I missed too. I thought that I am gonna need some practice if I am gonna miss them, as I watched 3 run away. I walked up to where they were and found out I didn't miss.

WP_20151025_002.jpg

At first I thought it was a doe, but then saw the spikes. The first deer I have ever shot. I was very happy.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great, nothing like your first deer.:thumbsup:

One thing to remember, deer don't always show any sign that they have been hit. Make that first shot count, and be sure and follow it up to make sure it was a miss, before taking aim at another.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. First deer is like first silver to some people. Since humans have taken over most of the deers habitat, it is our responsibility to control the population else mother nature will do it with disease and sickness. Not pretty. If hunters don't do it the government will with police snipers and poison.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It wasn't for fun. It was to feed my family. I do not take pleasure in killing anything. But I am happy my family will be fed. I am happy about that. I thanked god and I thanked the deer. For you to live, something has to die. Whether an animal or a plant. Just the way of the world.

Last edited:

stevei48

Oct 3, 2015
Mckeesport Pa.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land ranger pro
vibra probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first deer, my first one was 30 years ago. I was 26 and had hunted since I was 12. Before I got a shot. I have taken many more over the years. Remember 1 shot one kill. I havd never taken 2
Steve

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, nice deer and nice eating. Makes very tasty jerky, also.

Where do you get your steak and chops CK? Grocery store ,right? Let someone else kill and process it for you kind of person.
Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing like backstraps, mashed potatoes and venison gravy....Mmmmm good!!:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's nothing like backstraps, mashed potatoes and venison gravy....Mmmmm good!!:thumbsup:

Now that's really strange I read your reply and I haven't had venison for 45yrs and I can still remember what that tastes like, yummy.

It's young so it'll be tender, around the island where we lived the population in 2009 for a 2x13 mile island was 620 est. way too many. It was the case of just about every driver had done one in over the years.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good on you!

I checked my log and I have been blessed with 42 whitetail and one fallow deer over the years. 9 with unsighted recurves & my own wood arrows, 16 with traditional side-lock muzzleloaders, two with a 1939 Finnish Mosin Nagant rifle and the rest with rifled slug or sabot in a rifled slug barrel.

Whitetail are the perfect quarry. Incredibly wary, but every so often they make an error. Truly a natural treasure!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does this thread have anything to do with any of the above activities? This thread should be removed, but we know it won't...
FBT, thread is fine, it was in the general forum and the topic is "different kind of hunting." We have hundreds of topics, not all are Treasure hunting.

Thread does not violate any rules so your "should be removed" comment is wrong...

I moved thread to Our "Hunting Forum".

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will be some good eating. I have been filling my freezer with does (archery). I hardly buy any beef anymore. We have after all eaten venison way longer than..cows!
Congrats!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on you!

I checked my log and I have been blessed with 42 whitetail and one fallow deer over the years. 9 with unsighted recurves & my own wood arrows, 16 with traditional side-lock muzzleloaders, two with a 1939 Finnish Mosin Nagant rifle and the rest with rifled slug or sabot in a rifled slug barrel.

Whitetail are the perfect quarry. Incredibly wary, but every so often they make an error. Truly a natural treasure!

Unsighted recurves? An instinct shooter eh?
I like deer, makes great jerky.
I get an elk 'bout every 2 years. Luckily family (outlaws) usually also get one! Elk meat is oh so good!!

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll soon find out if and when you take a doe, that the doe taste much better than the buck.
I have never shot a buck for that reason, only does. I have tried eating buck from other hunters. Has a wilder taste and smell.
I've never been a trophy hunter, so no reason for me to take a buck.....I like the doe meat better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting for the meat. I love making sausage, burger, and jerky. This will feed us well. Thanks for the comments.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I could not wait to be in the woods. I have killed over 40 Deer. Now I am an softy, I just can't pull the trigger anymore on any type game, am I the only one who has turned into a softy?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unsighted recurves? An instinct shooter eh?

I go by "Stumpkiller" on several other forums from my love of field archery.

I have an assortment of one-piece recurves from the 1960's that I keep in play. A bunch of us like minded traditional bowhunters get together in the spring to shoot stumps in the Adirondacks.

1397960156_zps11479d7a.jpg

This is my favorite hunting bow. A 52# 1966 Browning Explorer that is fast and quiet (Amazonian rosewood).
DSCN0655.jpg

This one I took while still-hunting with a recurve from 14 yards. My proudest hunt.
Deer02B.jpg

This year I'm stumbling around with a 1965 Shakespeare Necedah (cost me a whopping $60!). You don't see chunks of wood like this anymore.
DSCN1256_zps8bab4bd6.jpg

DSCN1262_zps54c9c51a.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread