Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to shovel ice. Got to have a tremendous amount for icing these big sharks !!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
imagejpeg_0-3.jpg richard and robert with tigershark !! 600 pounder !! We paid richard and that was it he never came back !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had 3 miles of line lost to the gumbo sea weed. The stuff builds up on the line until it gets swept away by the tide !! We lost our arse !! We were able to catch enough fish to break even and pay for all the tackle we lost. I myself made 0000000 $$$. I worked all day making leaders yesterday. photo-846.JPG
photo-845.JPG
photo-844.JPG
photo-843.JPG
photo-842.JPG
photo-842.JPG
photo-841.JPG
photo-840.JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Why don't you all use Stainless Steel or Aircraft Cable to make Leaders? Are you all using Long Lines and if so, how long? I wonder if a different type of line or material can be used to prevent the loss to Seaweed or a solution to prevent the accumulation of Seaweed on the lines! I also wonder if a clear plastic or plexiglass cone attached to the line where it first makes contact with the water would help!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bart, someday I would like to hear your life story
how did you get into fishing?

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! That's a nice one, rustinail. Welcome to the treasurenet site and the forum, from Ohio.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-2.PNG the big ones just keep coming !! Tiger shark, 5-600 pounder !!

Just got in. Must shower eat and sleep !! More pics tomorrow.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
jewfish --it was a bad racist type insult -- they called them that because of the large mouth and greedy eating habits (its how they get so huge)--basically anything that they could get down their hatch they eat --implying that jews are greedy and big mouthed --thus the name change

rustinail

Apr 10, 2018
Staten Island,N.Y
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
jewfish --it was a bad racist type insult -- they called them that because of the large mouth and greedy eating habits (its how they get so huge)--basically anything that they could get down their hatch they eat --implying that jews are greedy and big mouthed --thus the name change

LOL I always learn something new.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

They got big too.

rare049.jpg

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you all use Stainless Steel or Aircraft Cable to make Leaders? Are you all using Long Lines and if so, how long? I wonder if a different type of line or material can be used to prevent the loss to Seaweed or a solution to prevent the accumulation of Seaweed on the lines! I also wonder if a clear plastic or plexiglass cone attached to the line where it first makes contact with the water would help!

Frank were always evolving our fishing techniques. We used to use cable alot, and we had success with it. With the invention of monofilament in the 1400 pound test class we switched over and have never looked back. Our catch rate doubled instantly. We try all kinds of ideas, some work some dont. We have experimented with small plastic funnels on the line with out much success. We learned that the sharks electrical sensitivity allows them to sense the cable very easily. Using aluminum or copper crimps on the steel creates an electric current from the effects of galvonic corrosion. The sharks sense that electric current and wont bite as well.
Ps. Frank ive been fishing next to the spot you showed me on google and it does look like there is somthing on the bottom there. Good eye frank I'll investigate closer very soon. Thanks !! Frank we are laying down one long line 15 miles long with up to 1000 hooks. Last set was 9 miles and 600 hooks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2hxq5g8.jpg

Striped Bass!

Yaaaa !! Nice one rustnail. Sweet striper !! Cool pic with the night time skyline in the background !! You look prepared too. Head lamp , gloves, and a bridge net ? Welcome aboard, and congrats on that sweet striper !! Thanks for posting it up !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Finally someone has explained to me how that name came to be. Wow the street I live on is still called jew fish ave. Probably wont be long till they change the name to goliath grouper ave. Lol !! Thanks ivan I always wondered about that. Thanks for stopping by and posting my friend !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Worldtalker we actually caught one this trip about that size, and when we let it go he soaked us with his tail when he went back down. We caught 2 this trip. Years of conservation have made the population explode. It might be time for some limited and regulated harvesting of these guys . There everywhere now !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-847.JPG sunrise at bahia honda key.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-849.JPG cleaning, or as we call it slimeing a shark jaw. First remove all flesh, second soak in hydrogen peroxide, three remove gums to expose the hidden rows of teeth !! After that its into the sun to dry and cure. Then they can be mounted !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread