🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-850.JPG
IMG_1772.jpg
These are already sold for 300$ they would retail for 6-800$ at the shell shop. Its a nice big set !!!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Big marlin during tournament. 500 + pounds on 50 pound test in under 8 minutes. Little shakey at first because your expecting it to be a long battle, but sometimes you go back on them and catch them fast if they dont go deep. Took second with 4 blues and three white marlin in 3 days. This is my other fishing job when im not shark fishing.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
blak bart --its now illegal to harvest them -they do not even want --you to boat them at all although to vent them you often need to -- they are now totally protected from harvest

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blak bart --its now illegal to harvest them -they do not even want --you to boat them at all although to vent them you often need to -- they are now totally protected from harvest

Your right ivan ! Even with federal permits we are not allowed to boat them. I have about 98 percent success with venting them to return to the bottom. They are tough and have big scales like armour. We catch alot in 30 ft gulf waters

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank were always evolving our fishing techniques. We used to use cable alot, and we had success with it. With the invention of monofilament in the 1400 pound test class we switched over and have never looked back. Our catch rate doubled instantly. We try all kinds of ideas, some work some dont. We have experimented with small plastic funnels on the line with out much success. We learned that the sharks electrical sensitivity allows them to sense the cable very easily. Using aluminum or copper crimps on the steel creates an electric current from the effects of galvonic corrosion. The sharks sense that electric current and wont bite as well.
Ps. Frank ive been fishing next to the spot you showed me on google and it does look like there is somthing on the bottom there. Good eye frank I'll investigate closer very soon. Thanks !! Frank we are laying down one long line 15 miles long with up to 1000 hooks. Last set was 9 miles and 600 hooks.

Man, that is a long a*% line, LOL!! Do you anchor/go stationary or troll once the long line is out? If the latter, I wonder if a series of surface long floats connected by nylon line/rope, set by two Downriggers on the Port side and two on the Starboard side might work to keep the seaweed out of reach of the long line. The floats would be anchored towards the stern of the boat by the rear most Downriggers and Downriggers mounted near the midsection of the boat would control how wide and far out the floats would be set to push the seaweed away. These would likely work even if you anchor or go stationary as long as the floats are set while letting out the long line. It might take some trial and error to find out how the floats would work best on the downriggers and might even require anchoring the floats to the boat, then use the downriggers to control the angle they are set at and how wide and far out they will go. Just another thought to ponder on.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
On another note, I remember so well when me and friend Jim George helped our friend Richard "Rip" Jacobs with his Lobster Traps and later Stone Crap Traps off Sugarloaf Key. After the first year of using Lobster Traps and catching a lot of Florida Spiny Lobster, Rip decided to get a Stone Crap License. He did not build Stone Crab Traps and only slightly converted his' Lobster Traps to catch Stone Crabs. After setting the Stone Crap Traps and waiting until the legal harvest day, we went out and pulled the first trap. It had 6 Stone Craps in it, each with enormous claws and what was left of three cat food cans which were shredded into little pieces.:o :icon_pale: We (Jim and myself) could not figure out how to get the Stone Craps out of the trap to harvest any claws. We asked Rip what we should do and he stated, just reach in and grab them one at a time. Well, I think both Jim and myself yelled back at the same time, a resounding F' you. We finally decided to dismantle part of the tops of the traps, so we could dump the craps out, catch the craps, harvest the legal claws (only one on a female if she had two but both on a male), then repair the traps, re-bait them, then reset them. Needless to say, it was a long day. On the way back in, Rip laughingly said that we should stop off on Big Coppitt Key and ask Three Fingers Louie how he gets the Stone Craps out of his' traps.:icon_pale: :laughing7:

Last edited:

rustinail

Apr 10, 2018
Staten Island,N.Y
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks and yeah you're 100% correct. Caught those last year and yes that's Manhattan there right across from the statue of liberty.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-853.JPG photo-852.JPG yup......the sharks were biting !! This is the deck loaded with shark heads, and bodies all the way to the rail !! All the boxes full, and the overflow on deck. I got right off the shark boat and right on the sport boat. We only caught a half dozen mahi mahi over the weekend. It was beautiful weather !! Crystal clear, sunny, cool air temp, beautiful water, but not much fish. I let go a large grouper.........if we caught it tomorrow it would be legal but today was one day early !! Darn !! Looks like we will be buying a new TIARA 46 sport fish !! Its on the way !! Twin 700 hp diesels, marlin tower, rupp riggers, twin state room, T.V. etc. etc. Yaaa!! So back to the shark boat for 15 days, then Bahamas, then north to the great lakes on the big yacht as first mate. Wooo hooo !! I get to treasure hunt/metal detect everywhere we stop. Wooo hooo !! Man..new boat has a hookah with quick disconnect in the transom !! Possible geometrics magnetometer in the future !!!!! Wow !!!! Im excited to say the least !!.............well whatever happens, and however this all works out, im gonna have an adventure, and get paid to do it........MAN I LOVE MY JOB !!!!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note, I remember so well when me and friend Jim George helped our friend Richard "Rip" Jacobs with his Lobster Traps and later Stone Crap Traps off Sugarloaf Key. After the first year of using Lobster Traps and catching a lot of Florida Spiny Lobster, Rip decided to get a Stone Crap License. He did not build Stone Crab Traps and only slightly converted his' Lobster Traps to catch Stone Crabs. After setting the Stone Crap Traps and waiting until the legal harvest day, we went out and pulled the first trap. It had 6 Stone Craps in it, each with enormous claws and what was left of three cat food cans which were shredded into little pieces.:o :icon_pale: We (Jim and myself) could not figure out how to get the Stone Craps out of the trap to harvest any claws. We asked Rip what we should do and he stated, just reach in and grab them one at a time. Well, I think both Jim and myself yelled back at the same time, a resounding F' you. We finally decided to dismantle part of the tops of the traps, so we could dump the craps out, catch the craps, harvest the legal claws (only one on a female if she had two but both on a male), then repair the traps, re-bait them, then reset them. Needless to say, it was a long day. On the way back in, Rip laughingly said that we should stop off on Big Coppitt Key and ask Three Fingers Louie how he gets the Stone Craps out of his' traps.:icon_pale: :laughing7:

Frank those crabs can really take a digit if one is not careful, there are techniques for removing the claws but it takes awhile to master them. Grabbing each claw and Appling gentile pressure on the belly of the crab with your knuckles will cause them to drop and sacrifice there claws. It takes awhile to master the technique. Man they can pinch the u know what out of you !!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1584426 View attachment 1584432 yup......the sharks were biting !! This is the deck loaded with shark heads, and bodies all the way to the rail !! All the boxes full, and the overflow on deck. I got right off the shark boat and right on the sport boat. We only caught a half dozen mahi mahi over the weekend. It was beautiful weather !! Crystal clear, sunny, cool air temp, beautiful water, but not much fish. I let go a large grouper.........if we caught it tomorrow it would be legal but today was one day early !! Darn !! Looks like we will be buying a new TIARA 46 sport fish !! Its on the way !! Twin 700 hp diesels, marlin tower, rupp riggers, twin state room, T.V. etc. etc. Yaaa!! So back to the shark boat for 15 days, then Bahamas, then north to the great lakes on the big yacht as first mate. Wooo hooo !! I get to treasure hunt/metal detect everywhere we stop. Wooo hooo !! Man..new boat has a hookah with quick disconnect in the transom !! Possible geometrics magnetometer in the future !!!!! Wow !!!! Im excited to say the least !!.............well whatever happens, and however this all works out, im gonna have an adventure, and get paid to do it........MAN I LOVE MY JOB !!!!

Sounds like you're going to get that yacht up there just in time for Memorial day weekend. Watch out for those Lake Erie tournament guys. They're a rotten bunch.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-858.JPG heres captain brown from our big yacht. Dolphin were biting today !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread