A massive lake of molten carbon the size of Mexico is discovered under USA

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Scientists discover massive reservoir of greenhouse gases | Daily Mail Online

By Tim Collins For Mailonline

Published: 07:50 EST, 15 February 2017 | Updated: 09:41 EST, 15 February 2017

A massive lake of molten carbon the size of Mexico is discovered under the US, and it could cause climate CHAOS

Situated under western US, 217 miles (350km) beneath the Earth's surface
Scientists used world's largest array of seismic sensors to map area
Melting carbon covers an area of 700,000 sq miles (1.8 million sq km)
Upper mantle could contain up to 100 trillion metric tonnes of melted carbon
Its discovery challenges what researchers have assumed about how much carbon is trapped inside the planet

A huge well of molten carbon that would spell disaster for the planet if released has been found under the US.

Scientists using the world's largest array of seismic sensors have mapped a deep-Earth area, covering 700,000 sq miles (1.8 million sq km).

This is around the size of Mexico, and researchers say it has the potential to cause untold environmental damage.

The discovery could change our understanding of how much carbon the Earth contains, suggesting it is much more than we previously believed.

3D3D514700000578-4226566-image-a-8_1487153811941.jpg
Scientists uncovered a huge reservoir of molten carbon situated under the Western US, 217 miles (350km) beneath the Earth's surface

It would be impossible to drill far enough down to physically 'see' the Earth's mantle, so a team of researchers used a massive group of sensors to paint a picture of it, using mathematical equations to interpret their results.

The study, conducted by geologists at Royal Holloway University in London, used a huge network of 583 seismic sensors that measure the Earth's vibrations, to create a picture of the area's deep sub surface.

Known as the upper mantle, this section of the Earth's interior is known for by its high temperatures where solid carbonates melt, creating distinctive seismic patterns.

What they found was a vast buried deposit of molten carbon, which produces carbon dioxide and other gases, situated under the Western US, 217 miles (350km) beneath the Earth's surface.

As a result of this study, published in Earth and Planetary Science Letters, scientists now believe the amount of CO2 in the Earth's upper mantle may be up to 100 trillion metric tons.

In comparison, the US Environmental Protection Agency estimates the global carbon emission in 2011 was nearly 10 billion metric tons – a tiny amount in comparison.

The deep carbon reservoir discovered will eventually make its way to the surface through volcanic eruptions and contribute to climate change albeit very slowly, but a sudden release could have dire consequences.

Dr Sash Hier-Majumder of the University of London's Department of Earth Sciences led the study.

He told Mail Online: 'The residence time of this carbon in the mantle is relatively large (nearly 1 billion years), so this reserve is not an imminent threat.'

'But one important mechanism by which carbon, sinking into the mantle via a subducting oceanic plate, can make it's way back to the surface is by arc volcanism.'

'Arc volcanism returns between 30-40% of the total subducted carbon back into the atmosphere. The remaining carbon stays in the mantle for a much longer.'

He added: 'We might not think of the deep structure of the Earth as linked to climate change above us, but this discovery not only has implications for subterranean mapping but also for our future atmosphere,'

'For example, releasing only one per cent of this CO2 into the atmosphere will be the equivalent of burning 2.3 trillion barrels of oil.'

'The existence of such deep reservoirs show how important is the role of deep Earth in the global carbon cycle.'

As a result of this study, scientists now believe the amount of CO2 in the Earth's upper mantle may be up to 100 trillion metric tons.

In comparison, the US Environmental Protection Agency estimates the global carbon emission in 2011 was nearly 10 billion metric tons – a tiny amount in comparison.

The area covered by the study includes Yellowstone National Park, where previous research has uncovered evidence of a supervolcano which could also spell danger for the planet.

The volcano at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming and Montana sits atop a huge reserve of molten rock and last erupted 640,000 years ago.

It releases around 45,000 metric tonnes of carbon dioxide each day.

If it were to erupt, it would be one thousand times as powerful as the 1980 Mount St Helens eruption and have the potential to blanket the US in a 'nuclear winter'.

While it has lain dormant for more than 70,000 years, scientists say that we can't rule out the possibility eruption this may some day take place - although they say the chances are extremely slim.

The Grand Prismatic hot spring in Yellowstone National Park is among the park's many hydrothermal features created by the Yellowstone supervolcano.

Experts say there is a one in 700,000 annual chance of a volcanic eruption at the site.

WHY COULD IT SPELL DISASTER?

If just a fraction of the carbon found by the Royal Holloway team were released into the atmosphere, it could have grave implications for the planet.

Just one per cent of the CO2 stored would be equivalent to burning 2.3 trillion barrels of oil.

If a substantial amount was released all at once, it could bring about an environmental disaster on the scale of nuclear warfare.

One scenario in which this could happen is through the eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano.

The volcano at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming and Montana last erupted 640,000 years ago.

If it were to erupt, it would be one thousand times as powerful as the 1980 Mount St Helens eruption and have the potential to blanket the US in a 'nuclear winter'.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh jeeze here we go............ Emitting co2...... what if what if what if.......... How long has this deposit been there? Hasn't been an issue, but now it is since global warming issues are fading away and they are running out of tweeked data. The only thing that'd have any effect that we're capable of is plant a lot more trees and other plants. Everywhere you look less & less trees. My neighbor who is constantly spewing the green house gas propaganda cut down the three trees in front of his house and put gravel where he had lawn. "I'm just tired of trimming, picking up leaves and cutting the lawn." Here's your sign buddy!" :hello2:

OK It's mother nature! 1. Every time we try to fix the environment we screw something up!!! 2. No matter how powerful & knowledgeable we think we are, we can't stop mother nature. 3. Even if we stopped using carbon fuels etc. 100% tomorrow our great great grand children wouldn't see any noticeable change. It's mother going through a cycle no matter how hard they tweek the data!!! Everything is OK unless some govt funded group decides to drill down & place instruments or upsets the pool. What could go wrong with that? :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh jeeze here we go............ Emitting co2...... what if what if what if.......... How long has this deposit been there? Hasn't been an issue, but now it is since global warming issues are fading away and they are running out of tweeked data. The only thing that'd have any effect that we're capable of is plant a lot more trees and other plants. Everywhere you look less & less trees. My neighbor who is constantly spewing the green house gas propaganda cut down the three trees in front of his house and put gravel where he had lawn. "I'm just tired of trimming, picking up leaves and cutting the lawn." Here's your sign buddy!" :hello2:

OK It's mother nature! 1. Every time we try to fix the environment we screw something up!!! 2. No matter how powerful & knowledgeable we think we are, we can't stop mother nature. 3. Even if we stopped using carbon fuels etc. 100% tomorrow our great great grand children wouldn't see any noticeable change. It's mother going through a cycle no matter how hard they tweek the data!!! Everything is OK unless some govt funded group decides to drill down & place instruments or upsets the pool. What could go wrong with that? :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Exactly. Look how long California was in Drought.

The state with the Most Environmental Laws & Crybabies.

& what's happening Now.

It's the Environment correcting itself at its Proper time & speed.

and it can't be stopped if you tried.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, guys, slow down a bit. Let's give the libs some leeway here and just step back, take a deep breath and look at this a little more closely, OK? Let's try to be reasonable here and give proper consideration to the issue at hand. ...I got it! Let's consider what might happen if the EPA were brought before a Senate Investigations Committee concerning this issue. This ALWAYS helps "me" put things in proper perspective! :laughing7:

1) How large is this Carbon Deposit? We believe it is in excess of 100 Trillion Metric Tons. However, this is only an educated guess at the moment. That's why we're asking for $200 Billion dollars of taxpayer money - so we can further sit on our...A-hem...investigate this imminent threat!

2) How long has carbon deposit existed? It has only existed for 6.2 Million years, but may possibly be as old as 882 Million Years.

3) What are the short-term affects if this Carbon Deposit should suddenly make it to the Earth's surface? CATASTROPHIC!! ALL LIFE WOULD END!!

4) What is the likelihood of the Carbon Deposit being brought up to the surface? DANGER IS IMMINENT!! We are living on borrowed time here. The Yellowstone Mega-Super Volcano is long overdue for an eruption!!

5) What data do you have to support your theory of Imminent Danger? BECAUSE OUR JOBS AND AGENCY ARE IN DANGER!! Besides, if we lose our jobs, we PROMISE to make it happen!! :evil5:

6) Is that a threat you're making? No sirs, it is not. Only stating the obvious, your Honors. 8-)

7) Can you be a little more precise in your expectations of just what will happen should this event occur? First of all, that much carbon will block out the Sun for generations. Then the Earth will drop into a centuries-long deep freeze. Then, as there IS NO God, life can never exist here ever, ever, EVER again!!

8) Again, what are the chances that such an event will occur in the near future? What part of this do you not understand? DANGER -- IS -- IMMINENT!! The Deposit has ONLY been in place for a few Million years before mankind is believed to have existed. THAT IS NOT LONG ENOUGH FOR US TO MAKE AN ACCURATE FORECAST! We MUST NOT allow this disaster to unfold!!

9)When the Carbon Deposit makes its way to the surface, where can we go to be safe? Safe? There IS NO such place! With the exception of the coastlines, everyone and everything will be INSTANTLY obliterated!! For those fortunate enough to live near the ocean, one question......How long can you tread water?!?!?

10) Ok, final question for today, but we reserve the right to call you back in for more Senate Investigations concerning this OBVIOUS problem. I ask this again as you have clearly not shown us discernible proof that this event will occur. Just for the record, what so far have you been able to change/adjust/control concerning the Earth, past, present or future? In other words, can you even predict the weather correctly? Oh, well...uh...well, that's a ...you see, it's like this - the weather simply changes too fast for us to keep track of. However, letting this little tidbit of knowledge out to the general public would be CATASTROPHIC, as it would put the nation in complete turmoil!! So Sirs, I'm going to have to respectfully ask that you retract that question, or simply black it out. That is far too dangerous to even consider the potential PR damages!
Senate Investigators in unison: Agreed!

*WHISPERINGS UP AT THE SENATE INVESTIGATIONS COMMITTEE BENCH...* Hey, do you think we've done enough here, really? Oh sure! We've EASILY asked enough tough questions and done enough work to keep the media in a frenzy for at least a month or two! ...Let's go get some lunch.

*Gavel hits the bench!*

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
In about 25 years I won't care.

....gotta hold on till then~

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boil this down to 2) How long has carbon deposit existed? It has only existed for 6.2 Million years, but may possibly be as old as 882 Million Years. But just give the experts 1 years worth of testing & drilling test holes etc and something that hasn't been a problem / threat will explode and kill us all. I still get befuddled by the title "expert". I was taught an expert knew everything about a subject. So far I haven't met one single expert in all these years.

Seriously! If it's been in the ground for 6.2 - 882 million years why all of a sudden is it a huge threat? Twitchey little critters we are! Everything is a big scary disaster waiting to go off. Oh look! it's your shadow!!!! The experts said it's gonna kill me!!! Run away from it quick!!!!!!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's why I went a little....shall we say "overboard" on the jesting. Even IF there is a potential danger out there, it's not like we have any control over whether or not that disaster ends up getting released. UNLESS......

Ooops! Sorry guys, just can't understand how that live grenade fell out of my hand and into the formerly-dormant volcano. And gee, I still have the pin. Silly me!! :tongue3:

NOTE: I've been sick for a few days, so my humor might be a bit "off". If it is, I honestly do apologize. However, they "seem" funny to me at the time. :tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A meteor could hit the moon knocking it out of orbit, the sun could go supernova......I'm not worrying about them either.......😁

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
source for this information ?
USGS like

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Occasionally here is a huge deposit of methane that can be found buried deep in my couch cushion. Often coincides with taco Tuesday or Refried beans Friday. It’s devistaing to the locals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread