Hurricane Michael

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back on TNET after a long absence and it looks like I'll be going quiet again, Hurricane Michael gave us a major beating. I'll post some pics taken during the eye, after they eye passed, we had a tornado go down our street. So these pics are from before the back end of the storm and tornado hit us.

House is in pretty bad shape, early assessment by me looks like it might be done for. Moved guns to a dry room, will wipe down and oil in the AM. Will move what is salvageable to a central dry area in the house until I can find storage. Right now we are in a sense homeless.

Son is going to take his two kids to his in laws in South Carolina, until they can figure out what they are going to do. His wife was injured in basic and is being released home on Friday to heal. Daughter and SIL, will find out if their trailer still exists in the AM, if not they'll probably stay with his family as long as their place is okay.

Adrenaline is coming down, and you realise everything you worked hard for is basically gone. Hits you pretty damn hard, you try to look to the future and be thankful everyone is alive, but everytime you walk outside and see your house and the destruction around you it brings you back to the present your heart sinks and it hits you hard again.

I'll try and load pics again they're not loading.

I'll post pics of the damage caused by the tornado and back end of the storm tomorrow. I'll have to take pics of it in the daylight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Here some pics of the house before the tornado and back side of the storm hit. There is not one privacy fence in our subdivision left standing. Car down the street was turned over, there are houses with little damage and some totally destroyed. Not one tree was left standing either. The front half of the storm was bad, the back half with the tornadoes was worse.

There are businesses in town completely destroyed, the hospital took a real bad hit, Tyndall AFB got hit real hard also. I've been in Panama City since Dec 1992, this is the worse I've ever seen.

Listed as a Category 4 storm being one MPH below a Category 5 according to initial reports.

Attachments

• 20181010_125928.jpg
    20181010_125928.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 20181010_125910.jpg
    20181010_125910.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 20181010_125834.jpg
    20181010_125834.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 20181010_125830.jpg
    20181010_125830.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
House across the street taken before the tornado and back end of the storm hit.

Attachments

• 20181010_125915.jpg
    20181010_125915.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 264

Diggsalot

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ffuries
I hate that this has happened to you. I assume you must still be in shock for how fast this day went from Good to nightmare. I will be praying for you and your family to be provided the strength and support that you deserve. This storm can't keep you from your destiny....it hit you with all it had and you are still standing. It could have been much worse.....you will and your family will be back STRONGER and Closer in the coming months and years. NO DOUBT....Believe that good things are headed your way, they are.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We're hoping the best for you guys.

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
First pic was taken seconds after I raised the flag first thing this morning, second one is at the end of the day with her colors a blaze by the last rays of todays sun. In all this destruction there can still be beauty......

With in minutes of raising my flag this morning it became a hot topic and place of congregation. People out walking surveying the damage to our subdivision, people driving by, you name it, stopped to take photos of it, thanking me for putting the colors out.

I was told that by raising the flag, we are saying as a community we are bruised and battered but we aren't out of the fight yet. I had one old vet stop by and salute it, other people teared up. My flag has only been stricken less than 10 times, since I moved into thIs house in Feb 1993.

Yes America we were Ground Zero for Hurricane Michael and we are still here, Battered, Bruised, yet we are Family, we are Americans, we are still Alive and Ready for a Fight.

May God bless our neighbors, may God bless all that rally to help us, and may God bless this Nation and Her Flag.......

20181011_063837.jpg

20181011_180051.jpg

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart breaks for you all.... as well as my own family in SW GA. (I'm still waiting for word, if my home there was spared, I know I have no water or electricity, same as my relatives in Dawson, they had tree on home, driveway, no water, no electricity, it will be a month or more, for them).
These are the kind of times, where the mettle, literally, meets the road.
I have faith in your abilities to come through this, as well as to help others, come through this all.
Been there, done that, I & others DO know, what you're going through, and we're so very sorry.
I'm sorry we can't come riding in, with a magic wand (for everyone), too. (I learned to make my own magic wand, years ago, lol, anyone can do it....).
Pls do the best you can.... to stay safe, to keep your spirits up, to try & smile, somewhere through all this.
Keep us updated as can, and again, I am so sorry....

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I too am so Sorry this happened to you and others. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Raising our flag the way you did was the Best thing anyone could of done. It reminds people that we are one.

Thank You For Your Service To This Country!

Kace

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So sorry for you and yours. Your home is still standing. A little rough around the edges now, but it can and will be repaired. Hang in there. Good to see Old Glory flying.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone who has not survived a hurricane can’t comprehend the destruction.....
Personal belongings, water, food, power, life’s necessities are compromised, and recovering to normal can take years.
I’m heartbroken for you and our pan handle neighbors..... prayers for your safety and well being.
I’m a veteran of several hurricanes, as many of us are....but I’ve never seen a punch like that. Damn.

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
We are staying with our next door neighbor right now, my son is taking his two kids, and 2 dogs up to his in laws house in SC, where his wife arrived yesterday after being sent home to heal after a Army boot camp injury.

Friends and total strangers from the neighboring counties have been bringing fuel, water, baby wipes (love the clean feeling after a wipe bath, and that's not sarcasm there) and other necessities needed to feel civilized again. It's amazing how disasters can bring people together and bring out the best in them.

My generator has been supplying power for 3 houses, that thing is worth its weight in gold 10 times over. It has allowed so many people simple comforts, like a window AC, or running a microwave, freezer, fridge etc.

As some of yall know from first hand experience, our world and lives are in total chaos right now. Trying to get a plan, but I just don't know. Structurally it looks like the house is unstable, the entire second story has shifted, and the roof supports were lifted up but remained on the house.

On a funny note, I recieved an email letting me know the local gun show was canceled.......but that they hoped to see us at the surrounding shows.

Starbucks from 2 counties over stopped by this morning with fresh hot coffee. The lady was dragging a wagon behind her, gave us a carton with a gallon or more of the coffee, cups, and all the extras for those who needed it. While she did our street, there were others on the other streets. A local BBQ joint came by and handed out killer BBQ pork sandwiches, OMG the sandwich was awesome.

My "WARNING YOU LOOT I SHOOT" sign has garnered a lot of positive responses. Hell a local Sheriff Deputy even remarked "I take it you are well protected?" Then said "They jimmy a locked door to get in, they aren't there to socialize and they were fore warned"...........

Sun burned from working in the sun all day, seriously sore, worn out, and exhausted beyond words. Our cat has finally come out of hiding LOL.

Just looked at my cell phone clock and noticed it was Saturday, and here I've been thinking it was Friday all day.

No word on when we'll get power back, some estimates have it not being for several weeks up to a few months.

A girl my wife went to HS in England with, has some retired Marine friends that heard of our situation, a long with me being retired AF and a disabled vet, wiith a son who was Marine, so they are coming up from Tampa area with wood, tarps, tools etc. To make emergency repairs to the roof to keep the elements out, board up broken windows, that way the wife and I can get into our house and start cleaning it up, I have another window AC in the shed I can use to cool the MBR so we can crash at our own house.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Sheriff's deputy had no issues with this........

Lots of people taking pictures off it, saw a news crew taking pics and video of it. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing! I was too busy with more important stuff then to deal with them at the time.

There has been looting in a lot areas already, even right across the highway from us.

Attachments

• 20181014_094634.jpg
    20181014_094634.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well two weeks ago we finally got our new roof installed on the same day our HVAC was replaced. Wow heat and air when needed, and no rain coming in the house anymore. Things are coming together slowly, but getting better.

20190201_095122.jpg

20190201_095130.jpg

20190201_130102.jpg

20190203_131335.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions