NE Game & Parks Regulations on Metal Detectors

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
NE Game & Parks Regulations on Metal Detectors

Here is the link
http://www.sos.state.ne.us/business..._and_Parks_Commission/Title-163/Chapter-5.pdf

Here is the specific reg
001.14C The possession and use of metal detectors is prohibited; Provided, possession of such a device is permitted subject to the following provisions:

001.14C1 Metal detectors may be used year around at designated state recreation area swimming beaches posted as open to such activity. During the period May 22 through September 7, usage is restricted to the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., daily. Metal detectors must remain below the vegetation line above the beach.

001.14C2 Metal detectors are limited to portable, hand-held devices only and digging equipment is limited to hand tools not exceeding twelve inches in length by four inches in width and sand scoops and sieves not over ten inches in diameter.

001.14C3 Operators of a metal detector shall wear or carry a litter apron or bag, and all litter found is to be deposited in an approved trash receptacle.

001.14C4 Operators may keep any nonidentifiable items with a nominal value of less than $25.00. Identifiable items, such as rings, watches, etc., and all other items of value exceeding $25.00 are to be
deposited with the park superintendent.

These provisions apply to all lost and found articles including those found without the aid of a metal detector.

001.14C5 All historical, archeological or paleontological items found are to be left undisturbed and their location reported to the park superintendent.

001.14C6 Use of metal detectors in State Parks and State Historical Parks is expressly prohibited except as herein
provided.

001.14C7 Owners of lost items may use a metal detector in areas where their use is otherwise prohibited, only upon prior arrangement with the park superintendent.

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Re: NE Game & Parks Regulations on Metal Detectors

This Reg would be somewhat applicable too

001.14A The possession, destruction, injury, defacement, removal or disturbance in any manner of any building, sign, equipment, monument, statue, marker or other structure, or of any animal or plant matter and direct or indirect
products thereof, including but not limited to petrified wood, flower, cane or other fruit, egg, nest, or nesting site, or of any soil, rock or mineral formation, artifact, relic, historic or prehistoric feature, or of any other public property of any kind without prior permission of the Superintendent is prohibited.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Remove trash by law.If you think about it is kinda silly.I wonder who else and what areas have the same law.All the other regulations are about normal.I guess you got to do what you got to do eagle77 HH AA

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used

Yeah, could be worse...they could prohibit MD'ing all together. I know several parks that I'd love to hit that have no beaches. Maybe someday

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

do you guys know the regs on usage in Omaha area parks? Specifically Memorial park after the big 4th of july concert.

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used

Spidey said:
do you guys know the regs on usage in Omaha area parks? Specifically Memorial park after the big 4th of july concert.

Sorry don't have a clue.

KurtB

Sep 8, 2006
Lincoln, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro

I don't believe there are any such regulations on NRD beaches.

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used

KurtB said:
I don't believe there are any such regulations on NRD beaches.

Many NRD rec areas adopted the G&P regs, several NRD rec areas are directly controlled by G&P. Some NRD's have adopted NO MD'ing regs. Each district is different and you'll have to check to make sure.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spidey said:

Omaha requires a metal detecting permit to hunt on city property. You can get it at the city parks deparment located at 24th and Hickory. Ballfields are off limits (just the fields themselves, not around them). No digging. No knife with a blade wider than 1 inch. No probe longer than, I believe, 8 or 9 inches

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

how did you even know that? I've done internet searches and can't find a thing on it. Is it posted somewhere?

and can you tell me what a license costs? I'm assuming that they don't give 'em for free.

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005

Spidey,

Check with Omaha Parks and Rec, last time I heard the permit was $1.00.

taz in omaha ne

Mar 15, 2009
Omaha Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White's XLT E-Series Metal Detector + Garrett MH ADS-7 + Garrett GTA-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omaha Parks Permits are required an they are checking if you have one now

Just a FYI to all who live in Omaha or in the area. Omaha is Enforcing the Permit Required to search in the city parks an property law.
The permit is $1.00 an you can get that at there office on 24th & Hickory St There office is open till 3:30 pm M- F.
Hope this helps anyone looking to hunt the parks an doesnt wanna run afoul of the Law here...HH Folks

andyofne

Sep 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a FYI to all who live in Omaha or in the area. Omaha is Enforcing the Permit Required to search in the city parks an property law.
The permit is $1.00 an you can get that at there office on 24th & Hickory St There office is open till 3:30 pm M- F.
Hope this helps anyone looking to hunt the parks an doesnt wanna run afoul of the Law here...HH Folks

Very old thread!

Just thought I'd update the Omaha info.

The permit is still $1.00 for 1 year or $5 for 5 years.

I recently called to get one and they close at 3:15pm. You can also mail in a check and they will mail your card to you.

One of the gals in the office is very nice & helpful and laminated my card for me.

Here are the rules:

Only probes such as a screwdriver no larger than 3/8" in diameter or a knife with a blade no wider than 1 inch are permitted.

Metal shall be removed with a minimum of soil disturbance; sod may not be lifted in any manner.

No shovels, trowels, plug cutters allowed.

Remove all detected metal so others will not pick up scrap signals.

Completely clean up areas of metal and trash. Deposit in appropriate place.

All GOLF COURSES and BALL FIELDS are off limits.

Permit must be carried by the operator when detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread