metal detecting ghost towns or old mining towns

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on who owns the property.

OP
OP
D

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plubic land, BLM or forest service land.
thank you

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Even with public land, it depends on the land status. Also, state and federal antiquities laws would have some bearing on which sites would be legal to detect.

OP
OP
D

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the advise and now i see i have home work to do so i dont get in trouble.
thank you.
davin

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanks for the advise and now i see i have home work to do so i dont get in trouble.
thank you.
davin

I don't know what "homework" you intend to do, but .... don't over-think it. Like, were you going to be looking things up for yourself ? Like to make sure there's not an express prohibition saying "no metal detectors" ? Or if you don't see something that specific, are you going to fret yourself over verbiage about cultural heritage ? (heaven forbid you found a coin over 50 yrs. old). Or will you fret yourself over verbiage about "harvest/remove" ? (which ... if you stood on one foot and squinted real hard, could apply to md'ing, since we "remove" something). Or how about "alter and deface" verbiage ? (since we "dig" after all)

Or is your "homework" going to be calling bored desk-bound bureaucrats, who will probably give you the "safe" and "easy" answer of "no" (when truth be told, they could probably care less nor ever gave the matter thought before)

I'm sure that no matter WHAT public land entity you care to inquire about, or fret yourself deeply enough, you can ALWAYS find someone, or some form of verbiage, that will probably say you can't even hunt a city sandbox.

So just use the rule of common sense: Sure, don't be tromping around in front of purist archies. As long as it's not an obvious historic sensitive monument (Bodie, Ft. Churchill, etc....) and as long as you're in the middle of nowhere, then .... grow a set :)

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also make sure to cover all the holes, and take your garbage with you. Lets do good for the whole community.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched a video on Facebook of a whole group screen sifting a well known ghost town. They weren't archies

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too concerned about hard core enforcement this upcoming summer when we move to Oklahoma for two years. I'll be buying a junker truck and heading for the boonies regularly to hunt. Lots of ghost towns and empty towns there.
Have detector, will travel!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread