Vegas

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Due east of you on the way to Lake Mead is a lot of old indian stomping grounds, if you're into that sort of thing. The beaches around Lake Mead oughta hold some good finds, there's some wild and crazy partying going on out there for years!

Or head on out west, going out Charleston towards Redrock. Howard Hughes' old ranch is out that way, and its now a park. they hold Jazz concerts out there in the summer. I dunno about detecting, you'll have to check on permission.

The redrocks area would be good to search around in,too. We once found an old car buried in the sand out there, full of bulletholes.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your info. Ive heard some DONTs about Lake Mead. Simply because its a National area. I didnt find anyone to hunt with, but did visit desert outfitters today. I have to say hes one nice guy. He has a great setup for topos.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
dewcon4414 said:
Thanks for your info. Ive heard some DONTs about Lake Mead. Simply because its a National area. I didnt find anyone to hunt with, but did visit desert outfitters today. I have to say hes one nice guy. He has a great setup for topos.

Yes, he is. Can't remember his name, but I'll always remember where I rented my first detector. :)

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did go to DOC's and talked to Gus about half the day. Very knowledgeable about the minelabs. Didnt get anyone to hunt with or any locations, but i got some good info on the SE. We discussed and conpared the DFX and SE. Hes never used the DFX and ive never used the SE. Im trying to find a dealer now willing to trade me an SE or II for the DFX.

Tigger0861

Greenie
Apr 30, 2006
North Las Vegas, NV
I've already hit most of the parks around Nellis and pulled out some nice stuff, but what pickings that are left are mostly clad. If you're off on Monday, I'm heading out to Tule Springs Park to do some hunting. It was a state park until earlier this year and off limits to hunting. Now the city runs it and they have a "surface finds only" policy. I usually hit the city parks with a weed puller to pop any sub-surface coins out and the park folks don't mind that as long as I'm not out with a shovel digging holes.

I've never checked into hunting on base, but Freedom Park by the south gate always has some big parties there. It was built back in the 80s, so there won't be much old stuff there.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife has me busy most of the morning on Monday. Which parks close to the Air Base paid off best? I at the Air Base in the RV park for the next week. Im RETIRED :). Are any of the parks restricted in Vegas? Didnt i see one on Craig by a golf course?

Tigger0861

Greenie
Apr 30, 2006
North Las Vegas, NV
I'm quasi-retired as well. The park by the golf course is kind of small and I've never had much luck there. North Las Vegas and county parks are pretty much wide open for hunting. They prefer you don't dig holes, but there are no restrictions in the codes prohibiting it. All the city of Las Vegas parks are surface finds only and posted on the rules and regulations signs by the entrance. I've had park workers talk to me about hunting and I showed them my weed puller I use for getting coins that are down 1 - 2 inches and they don't have any problems with that. Since the ground is so hard here you don't find much of anything deeper than 4 inches--that's where I've found my IH and some silver Rosies. Any time I've gotten deeper signals here, it usually ends up being a can that was buried when they were building the park.

Some parks around Nellis:

1. Cheyenne & Nellis: Just outside the south gate. Bottlecap city. Never found much there.
2. Cheyenne & 5th Street--City View Park (about a 10 minute drive): Lots of clad and an occasional wheatie.
3. Aliante Parkway & 215--(about a 15 minute drive): Always find lots of clad. I've pulled most of my jewelry out of this park near the soccer fields. This is my old standby since it's only about 5 minutes from the house and I don't have a lot of daylight any more.
4. Craig Road & Durango -- large park, but I find it hard to run any decent programs on the DFX because of the soil conditions.

There are lots of other small parks that I've had some luck at. Check the North Las Vegas, Las Vegas, and Clark county web sites for maps of all the parks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread