Amber Hunting - NJ Amber Presentation on March 16th 2009

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is anyone aware of a place you can legally hunt for amber in New Jersey? I want to take my daughter who is five looking for amber somewhere where it is allowed with no hassles. I'm not sure if this even exists but I thought I would throw it out there. I'm thinking this maybe a spring project.

I took her to Big Brook a few weeks back to look for fossilize shark teeth and she loved it. We were only there for a short period of time and found five or six teeth.

Thanks
NJ

After following up on a lead given to me from fellow T-Neter Satori I was able to get in touch with a scientist at the American Museum of Natural History in New York. He is going to come down to my clubs meeting in March and give a talk on Amber collected in New Jersey with a focus on material that contains insects, fauna and flora. It should be an interesting talk so if anyone is in the East Brunswick area on March 16th feel free to stop by. Check out our club website at http://www.dsmdc.org for more information. We try to have guest speakers at each meeting.

Other future topics are as follows: January: Old Photograph with an emphasis on the Civil War period.
February: Old state Coppers (Thanks Don for the lead)
March: Amber collection in New Jersey. (More details in the new post below)

If any one has a suggestions for future speakers in the NJ area I would love to hear about them. It is hard to find people for each month so any help would be appreciated.

NJ
/color]

PS The January and February talks were great.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Amber Hunting

I remember years ago (early 80's) I took my family to Cliffwood Beach? area, but we were not successful in finding any. But I also believe there was a quarry in Sayreville (sp?) that at the time was still open to collectors, but again we only found pyrite round balls in the diggings.
But, would bet all off limits nowadays. :(

Perhaps one might get lucky walking along Cliffwood beach area, near the bluffs?? I sort of remember a seawall being there though!

Check out this website: http://psyche.entclub.org/74/74-001.html

Don

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Don. I heard about the Sayerville site but for some reason I thought it was off limits now....it is not too far and I did see something online that was from 2002 so I'll have to check it out. I never heard about looking in the Cliffwood Beach area so I'll have to check it out.

NJ

woj

Jun 29, 2005
En Jay
Detector(s) used
DFX

I was at Big Brook yesterday and did pretty well. If you know what you're looking for, there's lots of cool stuff to be found. Anytime I get a yellowish see through rock I'll take it home for further inspection just in case it me be amber. Haven't found any yet though.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Amber Hunting - Amber Presentation on MArch 16th 2009

If anyone is around East Brunswick, NJ on March 16th at 7:30pm we will have a scientist from the Museum of Natural History in NYC giving a talk to Deep Search Metal Detecting Club about Amber deposits in NJ. He will be bringing samples collected in NJ with Insects and other items encased in them.

It sounds really interesting....Hope a few guest stop by. There will be snacks and refreshments.

NJ

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Thanks for the heads up, sounds interesting. It's a little too far away from me, I'll probably driving home on Rt 80 at that time. I also been to Big Brook too a few times with my son, I grew up near streams that had deposits of carnelian, cool stuff. PS: I'd still like to find my first arrowhead :-\.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread