Gold in NJ?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Other then gold jewelery at the beach I have not heard of any natural occurrence in NJ. I think the closest place you would have any luck would be in NC. I am by far not an expert in looking for gold so I hope other chime in and give you some advice.

Good luck

NJ

quaidmon

Apr 8, 2007
New Jersey
I think NJ is one of the few states that doesn't have gold. If you just want to try panning I got a free sample of concentrate from Felix Paydirt for 2 stamps. found about 8-10 tiny flecks of gold.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Montana Jim said:
You must have seen this already but I'll share it here... I don't know what was actually mines out of these places but the pictures are great!

http://www.abandonedmines.net/index_old.htm

Jim,
That is a great website. NJ was a huge Iron Ore producer. So I'm sure most of those mines were iron ore with a few copper and mineral mines.

Woffie,
I believe NJ is the only place in the world that you can find fluorescent minerals. The early miners were going for other minerals so most of the fluorescent stuff was thrown into dump piles then used to fill old mine shafts. Some of the mines that are still operating you pay $5 to get on the dump piles then $1.50 per pound for what you take out. A year or so ago someone found a specimen worth a few tens of thousand. You may have better luck doing that then looking for gold.

NJ

OP
OP
W

Woffie

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks Everyone- Yeah I have seen the iron, Copper and Zinc mine site- just squeezing into a hole like that creeps me out.

I was Thinking about the fluorescent Rocks up north TH but they have limited times you can go hunting...I might just take a ride up there and take a look anyway. hell I bought a few hand held UV lights last year. Problem with that is I wouldn't know a winner from a lump of plastic :D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I remember upstate NY being loaded with the phosphorus rocks and stuff... and while there may be no gold - there is so many other rock hounding opportunities. Quartz is probebly available, and I know there are fossils.

nixologist

Greenie
Jul 31, 2007
Hi from Franklin,nj. the fluorescent mineral capital of the world.it's in Sussex county.150 minerals,25 that are found nowhere else.I know they have a place where you can look.School kids around here get a field trip to the mines.I'm not into collecting minerals myself only metal detrecting so you can imagine the mineraliztion of the ground hunting.
franklin was one of the largest zinc mines in the area with iron and copper mines.Sussex county was mined by the Dutch in the late 1600's.Most of those sites and land is now state or federal parks so no metal detecting allowed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread