South Mountain Reservation

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MM2,
I hope all is well with you.

I'm not sure about South Moutain Reservation. I always wanted to go give it a try and I know people that have detected there but I'm not sure if it is officially allowed. Thats the reason I have not gone.

How your 2009 hunting season going?
NJ

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply NJ. I haven't been out much this year with all the rain and other obligations.I'm looking forward to the Belmar hunt later in the year if there still having it.MM2

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mountainman 2 said:
Thanks for the reply NJ. I haven't been out much this year with all the rain and other obligations.I'm looking forward to the Belmar hunt later in the year if there still having it.MM2

We are still having the Hunt in October...October 11th to be exact. We are in the process of updating the flyer which we will get out to you when it is done. I have a meeting later this month to discuss some details of the hunt. I think this will be the 22nd or 23rd year we are having the hunt. The hunt has such a good reputation that we've had people come from as far as Florida and Canada. Like past years there will be lots of gold, silver, prizes, food and fun. The hard part is coming up with something new to keep it fresh for people that keep coming back.

I'll see you in October.
NJ

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
I know people that have detected there but I'm not sure if it is officially allowed.
NJ
do you know what they found there?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whitesid said:
N.J.THer said:
I know people that have detected there but I'm not sure if it is officially allowed.
NJ
do you know what they found there?

I don't....I don't hunt with them but I have talked with them when I run into them at other sites in NJ. Next time I see them I will ask.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
MM2 good question, it's a little of my way, but I always wondered that myself.

TommNJ

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigeye

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2005
I checked permits for South Mountain Reservation. None for metal detecting. I would say it's permitted

gfeulner

Jan 22, 2011
I've detected in South Mountain many times and have never been bothered by anyone. I know people who have found 1/2 cents, seateds, barbers etc. The hilly areas are good to hunt because they're used for sledding in the winter.

jemakat

Greenie
Jul 6, 2010
Western Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Several months ago I wrote to the head of the Essex County Parks Commission to see if metal detecting was permitted as I did not see a prohibition on its website.

I actually received a letter back and was informed that metal detecting is not prohibited per se, but that there is an ordinance which prohibits digging.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your only recovery tool was a screwdriver, would they consider that digging?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have still not hunted in South Mountain Reservation but I hunt other Essex county parks a few times a week. I use a Leche digger and have retrieved targets in front of park maintenance and police. I've never been harassed or asked to leave. They usually just ask what I've found. Not to say that if you get someone having a bad day they could not cause problems for you. I just have never experienced it.

Once after have a nice streak of luck in one corner of a small park...I came back to the same area three days in a row. A police officer stopped me and thought I was staking someone out. He just would not believe that I would come back to the same area day after day just to metal detect. I thought it was pretty funny. I guess different branches of law enforcement don't always communicate and share information.

NJ

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great information everyone. I just moved to Maplewood and am itching to detect - this information from you all helped tremendously!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread