Going to Wild Wood NJ, need advice.

SilverThumb

Aug 6, 2009
Well we are doing our usual end of the summer vacation and we are going to wild wood NJ.
Im staying on 23rd and surf and was wondering if there are any preferred spots to go MD'ing?
Also what time do those beach cleaners run, i was hoping to get out at sunrise and beat the crowds.
This is my first time trying to MD a beach, so im not sure what to expect.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks and HH....

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go out early like 5-6am beat the cleanup machines..but also hit the low tides..wildwood is AWESOME to hunt.. wait till ya see how HUGE the beaches are.. best advice I can give ya is, if your not getting any hits after a while..move to another beach.. I LOVE WILDWOOD.. you will have a blast and a half.

OP
OP
S

SilverThumb

Aug 6, 2009
Hey thanks for the reply and the info.

Im pretty sure that i read today that the low tides for this weekend comping up will be in the afternoon, have you detected with people on the beach before? or do you just not go where the people are during the day?

Thanks again...HH.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected with the beaches loaded.. I just dont make eye contact and just wander around doing my thing.. sometimes I will get up super early and hunt the beaches before the crowds get there.. then sometimes I will only go when its low tide.. so basically when the spirit moves me I go.. which is just about now, am heading out to the beaches but not wildwood right now.. enjoy and have fun there.

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wildwood is great place to hunt. I hunt there every year in the summer from 12 ave to 26 ave wall to wall people umbrella tip to umbrella tip. I usually come home after a week with a 5 gallon spackle pail with change.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I was just at Wildwood last week. Most of the beach machines just rake the sand. There are some smaller machines that appear to sift out debris, but it looked to me like it was only picking up larger items like bottles and cans. My dad found a nice platinum ring in an area that had been raked by one of the large machines. We only went out in the morning while the rest of the family members were still sleeping.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
doverturtle said:
I was just at Wildwood last week. Most of the beach machines just rake the sand. There are some smaller machines that appear to sift out debris, but it looked to me like it was only picking up larger items like bottles and cans. My dad found a nice platinum ring in an area that had been raked by one of the large machines. We only went out in the morning while the rest of the family members were still sleeping.

I knew a guy who used to operate one of those things. They don't pick up coins and small things. After the machine does its job it makes it easy to grid a spot because you can see your foot prints in the freshly racked sand.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread