Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sandhog

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2011
South Jersey
I visited the park office at Batsto and was told that free permits can be obtained to detect limited beach areas at Atsion Lake and Lake Absegami. According to them, all other areas of the state forests are off limits to detecting.
If you have any info to the contrary I would be interested.

OP
OP
tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard nothing first-hand short of what you had mentioned. I once got a permit to hunt the water at Lake Absegami. I was closely supervised, since everything I found had to be checked by park officials to see if any found jewelry or valuables had been reported missing. Much ado about nothing in that instance. The lake had been cleaned out by the kids of a ranger. It had been done legally, mind you. I was just way late.

The secondhand info regarding legally detecting Jersey's state forest alleges a permit can be acquired to hunt "non-historic" areas, as determined by the Parks people. I sent an email to officials.

I've always enjoyed Pinelands road hunting; simply walking along ancient dirt roads swinging my Fisher -- hitting one side of the road heading outward and the other side when heading back. Loads of shotgun shells but occasional large cent scores. There's nothing "historic" about the roads themselves, per se.

Truth be told, I do my road hunting in ANY wooded area that I cannot easily identify as state lands. If the ranger stops me, I move on.

As far as I'm concerned, even the state has some responsibility to post land, even though the state is NOT required to follow the very strict guidelines private property owners must follow to properly post land, i.e. signs every 150 feet, signs must have the date and owners name, signs cannot be on telephone poles, signs must be updated annually, signs must fully surround property, and (one that even I don't agree with) signs must be on a post specifically for that purpose (not on trees).

If you're surprised or doubtful of those NJ private property posting laws, don't be. They're real -- and the law. I know this because I was part-and-parcel to their creation. Importunately, even police are often clueless about private property posting laws. They often simply apply hunting laws, which are the 180-degree opposite: A hunter must know the status of any property he is about to hunt. The onus is fully on the hunter to know the property lines of any parcel he is walking atop. No leeway.

Xhunter911

Mar 28, 2012
Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett freedom III coin commander
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly detect in city parks and in my neighbors backyards, but I have read somewhere that you just have to get permission from the NJ State Park office first before you detect! What are the rules for NJ wildlife managment area's, are they off limits like everything else the state owns or can you detect on them? just curious

ralphien

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2012
Villas, NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beachhunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly detect in city parks and in my neighbors backyards, but I have read somewhere that you just have to get permission from the NJ State Park office first before you detect! What are the rules for NJ wildlife managment area's, are they off limits like everything else the state owns or can you detect on them? just curious

I'm interested in the answer to this as well. Anyone in the know on this?

bigdad75

Jun 28, 2012
mount bethel,pa
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO now,had safari,etrac,v3i,and many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can get a permit for state hunting and fishing areas in jersey i have one,you just have to go on line print out the permit and find the regional manger for that area!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread