Jersey Beach Hunters Machine Poll

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I was thinking of getting a MD for beach hunting. But having no experience in this subject as to which machine would be best I thought why not ask the experts. I've heard PI's are bad for our sand.
So please list your most favorite or most used detector for the beaches wet/dry sand and water. Thanks so much!

OP
OP
mortarman

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, really? 32 of you have checked my post but not one of you do any beach detecting and can't tell me what machine you use? Wow!

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody probably answered your question because it was too broad of a question and has been asked and answered many times on this forum.

Basically:
Beach hunting and water hunting are two seperate types of metal detecting and each requires a different metal detector and a different sand scoop.

To sum it up as briefly as possible:
Beach detecting (dry sand only!) you can use most any type detector.
Wet sand and water hunting you are basically limited to PI (Pulse induction) or a Multi Frequency detector because salt water causes single frequency VLF detectors to give false signals.
Pulse induction detcts all metal so you dig everything (that can work out to your benefit or exhaustion)
Multi frequency MD's can descriminate iron and other trash but do not go as deep as PI's.
Of course there are always exceptions to the rules.

What I use that I personally find best for my hunting needs are:
Beach hunting (dry sand only) Garrett AT-Pro or Ace 350
Wet sand and Water hunting- Minelab Excalibur 1000
Note: I have taken the AT-Pro on wet sand and in the water with minimal problems and even found a ring in the surf, but it is definitely not the best for water hunting in the ocean.

OP
OP
mortarman

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody probably answered your question because it was too broad of a question and has been asked and answered many times on this forum.

Basically:
Beach hunting and water hunting are two seperate types of metal detecting and each requires a different metal detector and a different sand scoop.

To sum it up as briefly as possible:
Beach detecting (dry sand only!) you can use most any type detector.
Wet sand and water hunting you are basically limited to PI (Pulse induction) or a Multi Frequency detector because salt water causes single frequency VLF detectors to give false signals.
Pulse induction detcts all metal so you dig everything (that can work out to your benefit or exhaustion)
Multi frequency MD's can descriminate iron and other trash but do not go as deep as PI's.
Of course there are always exceptions to the rules.

What I use that I personally find best for my hunting needs are:
Beach hunting (dry sand only) Garrett AT-Pro or Ace 350
Wet sand and Water hunting- Minelab Excalibur 1000
Note: I have taken the AT-Pro on wet sand and in the water with minimal problems and even found a ring in the surf, but it is definitely not the best for water hunting in the ocean.

Thanks. That's all I really was going for here. No techno talk, just for people to list what they use to hunt beaches in Jersey. Plain and simple.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
mortarman said:
Ok, so I was thinking of getting a MD for beach hunting. But having no experience in this subject as to which machine would be best I thought why not ask the experts. I've heard PI's are bad for our sand.
So please list your most favorite or most used detector for the beaches wet/dry sand and water. Thanks so much!

How much do you wanna spend.

OP
OP
mortarman

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does what I want to spend have to do with telling me what detector you use on the beach?? I think everyone is missing my point. I'm trying to poll everyone on their machines they use on the beaches here in NJ. That's it.

Last edited:

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"everyone is missing my point". So I think that "everyone" would be me and ticm as you thanked Ace.

Let's see-I posted a link to where you might find many posts regarding which machine others use/recommend. As I know nothing at all about which machines are better than others, and you seemed upset that no one had answered you, I tried to be helpful by leading you in what I thought to be the best direction. ticm asked, "how much..." because my guess is that if you have monetary concerns then that would make quite a difference as to what machine you would want to consider. Not sure why you seem upset......

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
mortarman said:

Did you not say you were thinking of getting a MD for beach hunting? How much money you have to spend matters. Did you not say you have no experience? Are you planning on getting a MD, or are you just asking question because your bored?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What does what I want to spend have to do with telling me what detector you use on the beach?? I think everyone is missing my point. I'm trying to poll everyone on their machines they use on the beaches here in NJ. That's it.

Pretty moronic right? Most of the Jersey beach detectorists are dry sanders that use single frequency VLF machines. The Wet sanders and water guys use whatever they can afford. Many prefer the Minelab Excalibur, or Minelab Sovereign in the wet sand because it discriminates out the iron. Other folks like me use pulse induction machines like the Tesoro Sand Shark - but we are in the minority. Good Luck!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Terry Soloman said:
Pretty moronic right? Most of the Jersey beach detectorists are dry sanders that use single frequency VLF machines. The Wet sanders and water guys use whatever they can afford. Many prefer the Minelab Excalibur, or Minelab Sovereign in the wet sand because it discriminates out the iron. Other folks like me use pulse induction machines like the Tesoro Sand Shark - but we are in the minority. Good Luck!

How was that moronic, assuming you know what moronic's definition is.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How was that moronic, assuming you know what moronic definition is.

What color is the sky?

"Well I need more information, that is a very broad question."

:laughing7: :occasion14:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Terry Soloman said:
What color is the sky?

"Well I need more information, that is a very broad question."

:laughing7: :occasion14:

What? LOL. You wrote the statement. What were you trying to say to the poster. What did you mean by moronic?

The color of the sky varies from place to place and from time to time.

OP
OP
mortarman

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should have asked the question a little simpler. I apologize if I made it confusing. I just wanted to know what machines people use. I don't care about price, I don't care which brand or the type of machine. I just wanted people to list the machine they use on the beach. You know a poll. Like, "hi, my name is so and so, I use a abc detector", etc.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
mortarman said:
I guess I should have asked the question a little simpler. I apologize if I made it confusing. I just wanted to know what machines people use. I don't care about price, I don't care which brand or the type of machine. I just wanted people to list the machine they use on the beach. You know a poll. Like, "hi, my name is so and so, I use a abc detector", etc.

Oh why didn't you say so. Whites v3i when I go to the beach. Not to much. Hate digging clad.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi my name's Catobra and when I go to the shore I use a White's (brand) IDX Pro (type). At least that's what it says under my avatar.

OP
OP
mortarman

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I feel real welcome here. I ask a question and then I get called moronic because you didn't understand it. Thanks Catobra for pointing out my obvious lack of attention in not reading your avatar. And the last time I checked, the sky is blue. At least it is in my world.
Thank you ticm for the straight answer!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. I feel real welcome here. I ask a question and then I get called moronic because you didn't understand it. Thanks Catobra for pointing out my obvious lack of attention in not reading your avatar. And the last time I checked, the sky is blue. At least it is in my world.

I wasn't referring to YOU Mortarman, when I used the term "moronic." I understood your question immediately and wondered why the others didn't. Sorry it went over the way it did.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
mortarman said:

Would everybody please note that I was thanked for a straight answer. That might be a first for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread