Gulick House, in Lawrence, NJ

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Old, historic home called the Gulick House, in Lawrence, NJ, that is currently being threatened by demolition, much to the dismay of many of the people who live in Lawrence

A prosperous farmer named William Gulick had this wonderful house built for his large family- a wife and eight children- in the 1850's. The house was constructed in the Italianate style- a very fashionable style of architecture in the mid-19th century.

Attachments

• gul038.jpg
    gul038.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,048
  • gul044.jpg
    gul044.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,093

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
mike in pa said:
why are they thinking of tearing it down

I am guessing greedy developers with plans to put up 8,000 sq. ft McMansions on 1/2 acre plots or jam a gazillion townhouses on a few acres. Luckily, houses, especially new ones, ain't selling too well these days in New Jersey. So, maybe just maybe, it will be spared.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not against property owner rights or sensible development. It's just a lot of what has gone on in NJ and I'm sure in plenty of other areas in the past 10 years has been just plain wrong.

HH

- joe

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to drive by the house on my travels when I worked in the area. If I remember correctly it is on the porperty of abig Pham. company. I have spoken to detectorist who said it has been hit by vandals, as well as night detecting over the last few years.

I was under the impression that Lawrence Township was trying to preserve the historic house as green acres.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well lets hope for once, they dont win ( big developers) that home is beautiful and a crying shame if demolished.

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI

I have heard about this house but never seen it! Thank you for showing these pictures. Here in warren county NJ where i live they have this thing now where they whan't to pisserve land,so those greedy land develipers can't build.You have to have or build on 10 acears or les,in order to build a home or buildings ..ectr. Its funny there always talking about saving history..HM.

Priscilla

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Just saw this post. I detected this place for about six hours a long time ago. found a lot of junk and some horse stuff. not much left as I could tell it was hit hard by many in the past.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Historic Preservation Advisory Committee on Monday night denied a request by property owner CareOne Management LLC to knock down the white

[h=4]Temporary fence installed to keep intruders out[/h]

Although it would be a shame To tear it Down.

If I was the Owner, I'd Sue for all My past Tax money Back ! The so called Owner Apparently Doesn't Own it,
Or he could do as he Wishes !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread