Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett GTA-1000, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,
Long time lurker, so I figured it's about time I said hello. I've been into metal detecting for quite a while, but for the last year or so, I've wanted to step things up a little. Got started back in the mid 70's as a young-un, with a Ray Jefferson metal detector I purchased at a garage sale. Included was a stack of Treasure magazines. Not sure I ever found anything with it as it didn't seem to work so well. That didn't deter me any. I actually built a detector with plans from one of the magazines. Great for finding nails, but not much more. Finally after college and starting a family, I purchased a Garrett GTA-1000. That has lasted me for 18 years or so. Great machine. Used it quite a bit the first 5-6 years and then on and off (busy doing the family thing) until last year when a friend at work purchased a detector. We went out a few times together and I got the fever again. Now it's winter here in the northeast and I can't wait for a nice thaw.

Ordered a Teknetics Omega 8000 last weekend and I'm itching to get it. Figured if I said hi and traded some MD stories with some of you, I wouldn't be distracted again for several years like last time.

So, thanks for all the posts I've been reading the last few weeks. All have contributed to the fever.

Dan

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi there, Quisp! How deep is that white stuff up your way? hope you find lots of stuff, & post it all for us to see. good luck, & HH

OP
OP
Quisp

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mamabear said:
How deep is that white stuff up your way?

Most of it melted last Friday as we were up to 57 deg. Then we got dumped on over the weekend and now there's 6 inches in the yard. Arrrrrrrrrgh!
Thanks for the welcome.

Dan

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MG_127.gif
Dan

welcome.gif
To
TreasureNet

Attachments

• welcome.gif
    welcome.gif
    36 KB · Views: 325
OP
OP
Quisp

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
River Rat, Thanks for the warm Welcome!

I received my Omega 8000 today. Very cool. Now if the weather would cooperate and melt all the snow, I can give it a try.

Dan

balceber

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2009
Hey Dan. I'm in your neck of the woods and got into detecting for a while a couple seasons ago before getting distracted by real world concerns. I currently am considering a return to the hobby but I'm gonna have to break down and buy a detector that works lol. I'm thinking ace 250 Based on the positive reviews I've seen here.

Donovan

OP
OP
Quisp

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
balceber said:
Hey Dan. I'm in your neck of the woods and got into detecting for a while a couple seasons ago before getting distracted by real world concerns. I currently am considering a return to the hobby but I'm gonna have to break down and buy a detector that works lol. I'm thinking ace 250 Based on the positive reviews I've seen here.

Donovan

Hey Donovan,
Yeah, I'm kind of jumping back in as well. It was time to upgrade to something newer and time to get back out there and get some exercise. Been researching some new hunting places over the winter (google earth, library, etc) and can't wait to get going. I've heard good thing about the Ace 250 as well, but I wanted to try another brand as I have a Garrett GTA 1000 (and love it).

Dan

OP
OP
Quisp

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DigginThePast said:
Welcome to T-Net Dan. :icon_thumright:

Hey Diggin..,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Dan

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Quisp & Balceber, I'm near Rochester also. We're in for another 6-12 inches of snow tomorrow again! Crappy weather I hate it. If you haven't already you can check out our local club, http://gvts.org/GVTS Website/

Or pm me if you'd like.

Chris (Sodus)

OP
OP
Quisp

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome. You were right on the snow. Woke up to several inches on the ground. I actually got out for an hour yesterday to a local school. Much of the ground was frozen and I couldn't dig some of the signals. Where is wasn't frozen it was totally saturated with water from the melting snow. Only found a handfull of clad and a cheap kids ring. At times I felt like I was digging on Oak Island. I'd pull the plug out and the hole would immediately fill with water. I was never more anxious of having the target in the plug. If it wasn't, it meant I had to reach in the water filled hole with my bare hand. Brrrrrrrrrr.

Dan

balceber

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2009
Forgot about this thread. Snows melted now but due for a cold snap this week. One thing about Rochester we know how to enjoy spring when it finally comes. I have a couple good sites in mind I've been meaning to explore and a couple roadies as well. Thanks for the link to the local club; I'll check it out when I'm not banging away at my phone lol. Get ready folks, here comes the sun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions