Dcad, info: 1880 Colorado River Robbery/Silver and Gold

DCadwell

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2011
Thank you for this opportunity to introduce myself. I'm new to treasureNet, but not new to the excitement of treasure hunting. I have never found anything huge that's much worth reporting on. I've searched caves near Yeamen in southern Arabia. The Asir Mountians are beautiful. I've dove the Saudi side of the Red Sea looking for sunken ships. I spent 10 years hunting for the Adam's Digging. (Today a few people feel they have found that secret canyon, but I'll be more incline to believe it when they show us a video of their private jet.) I just retired from a University in Idaho, ;D and it affords me more time to research and explore. I have an interesting puzzle to put together, concerning the 1880 robbery of a paddle boat on the Colorado River. This happened about 8 miles north of present Bullhead City Arizona. The paddle boat was steam powered and about 140 feet long. it was named the Gila. The Captain was named John (Jack) Mellon. He lived with his wife in Yuma until his death in the 1920's. I have found some information on this event, but I would like more information. Especially copies of news articles from archives or any reliable info, (Not treasure magazine articles that don't mention their sources). This winter I hiked some of this area to get a feeling for the country. Even though I retired from Boise, I was raised in Arizona - so I understand the desert. I appreciate the opportunity to participate in this forum, and I have read many of the comments on other stories. Some of you experts are who I need to hear from, so I can have one more adventure. Thank You, Dcad

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MG_127.gif
Dcad