new member saying hi and needing help

trmwf

May 11, 2011
Hello everyone! My name is Mike and I am new to the world of detecting, well actually not as years ago I was a detective. I am also the type that usually just jumps right in and in the process ends up making costly mistakes (cameras and lenses, fly rods and reels, boats etc to name a few) so this time I am going to make an intelligent decisiion on which outfit to start out with. I have done some research and it seems like the Garrett Ace 250, Whites PrizmII and the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV are pretty decent starters. The thing I am having trouble deciding about is the difference between these and some more expensive models. An example would be (but not limited to) while looking at the Tracker IV on ebay I see a Bounty Hunter 505 for just a few bucks more? Is it worth it? Is it worth spending a little extra to get started in "a cut above" and perhaps being happier with it longer?

I would really love to find a 40lb gold nuget but I doubt that I'll do that in Northern Ohio so you can probably put me down for the coins and jewelry crowd as I gather that makes a difference in what you should be buying.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome.gif

Attachments