New member from Greenville NC seeking some advice.

DownEastDetectorist

Aug 31, 2011
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just joined the forum recently and I have not had too much luck starting out. I've found some clad dimes and a penny or two plus tons of junk. My detector (bounty hunter discovery 1100) is an entry level model with just two discrimination modes (no iron or no iron and no mid range) along with a sensitivity up and down setting.

I haven't the means to go places that require lots of gas money so I'm limited to the city I live in. Anyone have ideas on the kinds of places that are good to find silver coins and jewelry? I don't mean specific sites but rather types of sites. Should I go for all metals or filter out iron and/or mid range metals?

Bbchevelle

Aug 28, 2011
Central Pa
Detector(s) used
At Pro/F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome realman! I'm new also and haven't been fishing too long, but this hobby is very addicting. I would get to know your machine first and foremost by reading the instructions thoroughly. If you have a small space outside in your yard, make a test bed and bury some different coins, junk, etc and listen and learn. If you have yardspace, practice there. Parks, schools, boat launches, soccer fields fairgrounds, etc are good places to start outside of your own property, but make sure you always in the right as far as any legalities are concerned. Start doing some local research at the library or historical society to put yourself in places where a lot of people have congregated over the years. Always be on the lookout for more rare opportunities also like sidewalk tear-ups, demo sites, or excavation sites and again be on the legal side. Look on-line for historical map sites as they will show you what was there way back when. As far as settings go on your machine, dig it all. My backyard recently gave up two Indians, a 2-cent piece, and civil-war era buttons that I've probably swept over ten times and disregarded---you never stop learning if you listen and practice. The folks on this website are really great and I'm sure can give you better advice than me. I guess one of the most important things is to have fun with it and know that whatever you find is a piece of history you can be the first to hold or see in a long time(or not so long, I've dug up enough iron and aluminum junk to help offset the cost of some of my equipment. Good luck, and there is a reason they call it "fishing". HH

4ensics 1

Sep 14, 2011
I would suggest city parks. Also you could try churches, abandoned homes etc. Remember that you need permission to hunt these areas so check with the city parks department/ preacher/priest or landowner before detecting.

Good hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread