Hello from Southern Oregon

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just found this site, and it looks very informative! I have long but thin experience with MDs, having rented a couple of White's in the 1970s, then owned a Compass X-100 (think that was the model -- good machine), a Garrett that I can't remember, a Garrett Treasure Ace 300 and now awaiting the delivery of a Minelab Xterra 705 on Saturday. I live literally on the edge of gold country and two hours from the ocean, so I am looking forward to the versatility of the Minelab, especially with the 6-inch DD HF coil.
Really enjoy coin hunting too.

May 2, 2012
Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there!
I'm new here as well, figured I'd extend a friendly greeting. Coin hunting is also one of my major goals, as I also collect coins as a hobby. (Seems like I am developing more hobbies by the day ;))

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Pulltab. If you're a coin collector, I will sure be all ears when you get around to cleaning nickels!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to forum as well. Had a metal detector sense 85. Used to find wheat pennies every time out. Found some flake near Galena on the Rouge with a gold cradle. Gave gold beach a try as well. I think the black sand would be a problem for the Tiger Shark. Plan to try further north ( haystack rock for instance) for lost jewelry and such. Happy hunting...

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hot Zone: I think you mean Galice on the Rogue River. There were some huge gold mines in that area in the 1800s. I spoke with an elderly women who grew up in Galice during the Depression. During this period, the government first paved the road down the canyon, using locally mined and crushed rock. She told me that the local families would wander up and down the newly paved road with screwdrivers looking for nuggets and pry them out of the pavement. Of course gold was what, $35 an ounce in those days? Crazy!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galice sounds right..My deLeon detector went crazy on all the hot rocks around there... I wanted to work the opposite side of the river... Maps show that area was covered with claims... Need to take my drift boat...My new Tiger Shark shipped today from Kellyco. With manual ground balance maybe I can find nuggets or the old miners stash...I have been gleaning the local park of clad and heard a rumor that the guy who donated it may have buried cash. Much of the park is wooded and tangled with black berries and such. I searched near an old orchard but was unable to find evidence of any buildings or anything of value. Searching around large douglas fir I found a tow chain, steering wheel and a ford key... Much of the area I was looking in had been donated to eventually build a high school. Need to detect after things are cleared out some.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MG_127.gif
Billinoregon