Hello From Virginia!(Also need help deciding on a metal detector)

HuntingNovice

Jul 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this site and I hope it will help me learn a bit more about metal detectors, I love history and discovering things, so discovering metal detecting was a short step away from there. I have metal detected before, but my ability was limited because the detector I started out with was a beginners one and so Its functions were extremly limited, It broke apart, and I had to fix it with duct-tape. It wasnt reliable so I sort of phased out of the hobby until I got the possiblity that I might be able to get a new one.

If any of you could point me to some metal detectors that meet this criteria, it would be greatly appreciated:

My price range is around $100-$300, I plan to do some fairly serious metal detecting for relics and coins, but one of my aunts also owns a beach house, so I would like it to be able to find jewelry and such on the beach(I don't plan on going near wet sand if that helps)

Any help is Appreciated! Looking forward to using this site ^_^!

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
Welcome aboard! This forum is an awesome source of information and inspiration. As for a beginners / entry level machine, i like the Whites Coinmaster and Coinmaster Pro (replaced the Prizm III and Prizm IV) . They run in your price range at ~$180-$280 new. I have used and enjoyed both for dirt and dry sand. Another good option is the Garrett Ace 250, I've never used it but it has quite a following and is highly regarded. Don't discount the wet sand and surf if you can find a machine in your price range that will work in those areas. I'm sure others will chime in with their advice on machines as well. Good luck, keep swinging (or in your case start lol) and Happy Hunting.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pp-civilwar-print2 (2).jpg

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
welcome!! you should talk to people in your area about machines. Depending upon where you are, some of the soil there is highly mineralized and needs specific machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread