Florida, bought my first Metal Detector Yesterday (go away rain)

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my used Tesoro Cutlass II Umax yesterday, tried it out in the yard and found a 2001 quarter and a 1973 penny. Wish it would stop raining so I could go to the beach and try out my detector and my home made pitcher scoop..

Before I bought a metal detector I found a 14k gold sapphire ring in my mulch and last week I found a .925 ring while I was digging up a palm tree next to my garage.

Can't wait to get started.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do know its not going to work at the saltwater beach very well..... Hunting the beaches takes a detector designed for saltwater beaches.... You can hunt the dry sand, but the wetsand will drive your detector nuts because of the salt minerals... If you use it there you will need to turn the sensitivity way down to try to get it stable and you will lose a lot of depth when you do that..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do know its not going to work at the saltwater beach very well..... Hunting the beaches takes a detector designed for saltwater beaches.... You can hunt the dry sand, but the wetsand will drive your detector nuts because of the salt minerals... If you use it there you will need to turn the sensitivity way down to try to get it stable and you will lose a lot of depth when you do that..

You'll be fine in the dry sand Beckleeson, just stay out of the wet sand or like Treasure Hunter says, you'll have some difficulties. Get a GOOD sandscoop. Enjoy that new Tesoro, it is going to make you some money!

OP
OP
B

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I'v read about the salt. I figured I'd bring some coins and a bury them in the wet sand to see what kind of depth I can get (if its worth it). If no, there's still miles and miles of dry sand for me.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Bomber Harris

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2012
Valencia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, will the WHITE S 6000/DI PRO encounter problems in salty water wet sand, for instance detecting on a beach after a big storm or will I have to stay on the dry area?

OP
OP
B

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went last night after it stopped raining, had some problems when i got to close to the water (rain made it hard to tell where the tide lines were) but I was ok on the rest of the wet Bomber. Cleaned up the beach last night though, literally, beer caps, hair pins, and foil. 1 penny.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salt water minerals will present major problems for it as well. To properly hunt a saltwater beach you need a multifreq or PI detector... You can use a single freq detector if you turn the sensitivity way down but remember your losing depth and depth is what you want at a saltwater beach...

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Enjoy this great hobby.

The folks on this forum are awesome and can answer just about any question you may have.

One last thing.....can you please send the rain up to us in New Hampshire? Thanks.

kglong

Feb 19, 2007
Marengo, IA.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites 6000, Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax,Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Beckleeson, have fun down there finding all the rings on the beaches. Send some of the rain up here to Iowa we will gladly take some.:tongue3:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasureman (2).jpg

OP
OP
B

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, 3 days at the beach so far (about 2-3 hour trips), I have to stay in the dry sand like Treasure Hunter said. I'v found $1.36 in change or clad I think you guys call it and a whole lot of beer caps and foil.

Hope I get a little luckier, I am getting faster and retrieving though :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions