Newbie from Deep South

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello there my name is Laura. I'm 24 and I live in a really small town in the deep south called Boston, Georgia. I bought my first metal detector about a year ago and so far all I've found is old nails and a 1995 Washington Quarter...which is pretty disappointing because I could find that in my pocket change. As I said, I'm new to this so I don't really know where to look or where I'm allowed to look. My mom works on an old plantation out here and we tried a few spots and didn't come up with anything but junk iron so it must have been a pretty poor area because nothing interesting really seems to be dropped. Judging by the history of the area, where would you suggest I try? I'm totally clueless and I'm pretty discouraged.
-------------------- History of Boston --------------------
I'm from the Thomasville though which is in the same county.
City of Thomasville | Our History
In two such history rich country towns, I'd have thought I'd find something cool, but not so far.

Last edited:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello laura welcome to tnet my suggestion is to try your yard or local parks try around lakes where people swim maybe where they would lay there clothes wherever people gather is where you want to go good luck

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your historical society and find out where the oldest homes and buildings are or were, check to see where the oldest church is and try the grounds there, any place a lot of people would gather such as fair grounds, if you want clad check under the bleachers at your local school, check your parks, baseball diamonds along the base lines where runners would be rounding the bases, it just takes a little research and then you will know where to search

OP
OP
L
Aug 15, 2012
Boston, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm starting to think maybe I should check out the local park in Thomasville because I never realized how old it was.

Thomasville's Paradise Park has stood as a veritable forest in the heart of the community for over 100 years. This masterpiece of nature, some 26 acres, was optioned to the city in 1886 by Dr. S. Alex Smith, and stipulations of the option insured the perpetuity of the Park. Smith died in 1888, and in 1889 the "city fathers" exercised the option, purchased the property from the Smith heirs, and Thomasville was the proud owner of "one of the most important attractions of our beautiful city."

In the late 1800's, Paradise Park became a focal point in the life of the community: parades, bicycles, picnics, band concerts, and watermelon cuts were the order of the day, and visitors to the city thrived on its pine-scented, "health-giving properties." Located across from the park was the famous Piney Woods Hotel which afforded patrons not only a pleasant vista, but also a recreational facility without peer.

On April 4, 1896, the Park was the scene of a significant event. On that day, a tree planting ceremony honoring Joseph Medill, publisher of the Chicago Tribune, and A. K. McClure, publisher of the Philadelphia Times was held. These men were winter residents in during Thomasville's "hotel era" and had publicized the city in their papers, contributing much to the city's popularity as a winter resort.

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure that would be a great place to search, any park like that would be, take your time and have fun, you will find some goodies.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The old plantation would be my pick there was more out buildings see if you can find where they was at.
And if the house is still there, if not find where it was take your time there will be some good finds there.
And that park sounds good to just slow your hunting some, you do in most spot like old house site get the junk out and then the goods will come.

OP
OP
L
Aug 15, 2012
Boston, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old plantation would be my pick there was more out buildings see if you can find where they was at.
And if the house is still there, if not find where it was take your time there will be some good finds there.
And that park sounds good to just slow your hunting some, you do in most spot like old house site get the junk out and then the goods will come.
Yeah we did try one old house site out there. The house has been dragged away, but the foundation is still visible and the old barn still stands (barely). I swept every area I could because the grass is really tall out there and I didn't want to get bit by snakes. All I found was a bunch of nails, what looked like copper or metal pipe fittings, and a padlock. These people were probably pretty poor. I don't know. We also checked a spot that we know for sure used to be an old stagecoach stop by the road, but it also yielded just junk metal. There are a few other spots that used to have houses on them out there. If they aren't too grown up I might see if I can go check them.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The key word is junk , I have more junk like 100 to 1 good targets just keep going and you will find the good stuff!

OP
OP
L
Aug 15, 2012
Boston, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My other problem is probably that I haven't quite gotten the hang of pinpointing with this machine yet.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
anywhere you hunt is potentially good!! welcome to TNet and good luck!

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just keep going my day Sat. was two keys can, can, can, can, and one pice of cut up brass, and 12 ga. shell.
It will take some time but just jeep going hope your hunt will be better then my Sat. was lol.
Good luck and see you in the field.

OP
OP
L
Aug 15, 2012
Boston, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well went metal detecting at the old stage coach house site for a few hours today. Still optimistic and can't wait to go back, but no coins yet. Found a bunch of nails, scrap metal, a rusty spoon, a couple of what I think are tent stakes, a very old looking kettle lid, and what looks like a broken 1920s or 30s lighter. Having a heavy duty shovel and my trusty pinpointer makes the whole process much easier and less time consuming per signal.

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Laura. Like everybody says more trash then goodies. But the goodies are out there. Just hang in there and you'll find the good stuff. HH

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pp-civilwar-print2 (2).jpg

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from New Hampshire! :hello:

I used to live in Boston, Massachusetts - quite a bit larger than your Boston!

Sounds like you've had some interesting hunts. My husband and I like to get out as often as possible. We like to hunt the beaches, parks, fields, cellar holes - basically anywhere that people congregated. Our best finds to date: 1892 Indian Head penny (park) and a 14 kt. wedding band (beach).

Check out the group, "The Women of TreasureNet". We'd love to have you join us there!

HH,
Anita

catbird

Oct 18, 2008
raleigh
Detector(s) used
whites XLT
Hi laura, now that you got out some of the junk, you need to go back over the same areas and slow your swing down and listen for those far away beeps that hint a good find. Keep practicing your pinpointing for that is important in finding those nice pieces. Good to have a handheld pin pointer to find that treasure. Once you find that first old coin, or relic, you will be hooked........My first real find was a wheat penny, 1953, ive been hooked ever since for 26 years now.......

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey LMD, you gonna dig a bunch of trashes, sorry to say. Welcome though and have lots of fun.
My grandfolks lived in Pelham, dads family in Colquit cty, I got family all over the area down there.

Where's the swimming holes (springs, creeks, rivers), where all the kids hang in the summer? Where's the old community centers? We had uncles birthday, at the one over in Cotton last year. Them old schools and church yards (train stations) should be good. Look at the schools(community colleges) that have playgrounds/vollyball courts. (I know a field where an uncles finger and wedding ring is)...... no no, sorry, don't wanna do that to ya! LOL!

Yeah and come over to Women of Tnet, like Anita said. Kepp a posting, let us know how you doing, and thanks for the links.

eta, oh keep your eyes peeled for arrowheads too! Real nice flint around the areas too.

Last edited:

bobcat

Aug 18, 2012
nebraska
Detector(s) used
whites - eagle 2 sl, eagle spectrum, xlt, dfx, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Laura,

Welcome.
Sometimes where there is junk some of the less patient treasure hunters pack up and call it quits. The treasures that lay with the junk will be there for you the treasure finder to uncover. I have found some great things in trashy areas. I hope you find all the treasures you seek no matter what they are. Bobcat

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of those quarters add up Laura! Dig the iron and the big scores will come! Hasnt happened to me yet, but Im still waiting! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread