Hello from Central Gulf Coast Florida

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello, new member interested in metal detecting and coin collecting. My grandfather got me interested as a kid but it skipped a generation with my parents. The kids are also interested so I'm glad to get them away from the TV! :thumbsup:

I'm in the market for a beach metal detector but want it to work in the dirt also. Thank you forum for such a wealth of information, it helps while I decide on the right dectector for us.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to TreasureNet.

What is your budget? Water hunting is a whole different ballgame from land.

If your hunting the beaches and going into the water or hunting the wet salt sand you need detector that can handle the salt minerals. Your going to need a VLF detector (multi freq is better) or a Pulse Induction.

Your going to need a good scoop if your going to beach hunt and they are not cheap.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
welcome!! If you are going to hunt the water...you will want a good water machine. If you want a machine that will do dry sand and land then you will probably look at a different type of machine.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
I won't say the budget is unlimited, but I am not the type to go cheap if I can spend a little bit more and be happier in the long run. In other words, I don't need the Rolls Royce but am happy with the dependable Honda or more luxurious Acura. I am new to the brands, models, and technologies, but I have been reading for weeks now. I try to read as much as possible so as to not make a rash decision.

I would love to start with the CTX 3030, but from what I have read in the forums it may be still premium-priced for what it offers. I know it would be a great detector to start out with and keep for a LONG time, but I don't know if I could convince the wife on that price tag or myself for that fact. (About the price of 2 Excal II's) It would most likely be a bit too much machine for me to start out with anyway.

I am leaning more toward the Excalibur II. Is the 8" coil better for accuracy and pinpointing? Does the 10" coil give better depth and range while sweeping the ground? I have read that with Minelab detectors that you should sweep slowly for best results, but want to make sure that I start with the right coil. The BBS technology with nulling over iron sounds like it would help a beginner like me. With my audio background I am fine with pure audio and no readout screen. I like the waterproof ability to 200 ft. I have snorkeled around the world and want to get scuba certified, so the ability to wade waist deep now or later dive with it is very enticing. How does it do on dry sand and dirt? I would like to be able to take it to city parks, woods at family's properties in other states, etc.

I am also considering the Sand Shark. With it being PI is that technically an older technology? I read that some current models are based on older technologies that have become obsolete, or otherwise improved on by newer models. Also how is Tesoro's quality control? I had read different posts that made me wonder if that could be a concern. How would it do in the dirt?

I know the Sand Shark would save money but I am thinking that the extra money would be worth it for the Excal if it is better suited for my planned use. I know that everyone says that it is best to have two machines for water or land use, but I want the best universal unit up to around the price of the Excal. I most likely would later get a better land unit, but think I would be happy with the Excal.

Is there anyone that owns them both that could share their opinion about them? Thanks to everyone for such a great forum!

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Your going to need a good scoop if your going to beach hunt and they are not cheap.

Any recommendations on a scoop? I saw that Big Boys Hobbies bundles a RTG Pro alum 6” water scoop RTGBBTV6. From what I have read most recommend a SS steel scoop for strength over aluminum. Open to suggestions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions