austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the site. We have lots of fun here and on Fridays the moderators give us recess and donuts. I'm trying to guess what part of west texas. Hmm, I better not say anything because I could insult you accidently. I mean if you're in Midland or Odessa I would have to go to church and pray for you. Up around the Lubbock area and north there aren't many rocks to hound are there? That leaves a lot of great country from Del Rio to El Paso west which is loaded with all sorts of wonderful stuff. But wherever you are, I hope you are doing well, hope you will stay with us, and hope you will forgive my indiscretions. I'll buy you a drink on the riverwalk here someday and some enchiladas made the right way, not flat with an egg on them...

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah! Shows what you know about enchiladas!!! Stick to the brisket! Everyone knows that the best Enchiladas are within 20 miles of the Rio Grande!
Good luck no follow. My family lives all near there (Midland, Odessa, Lamesa, Big Springs) And they always pray for the heathens in San Antone!:occasion14:

Hope you got a chance to go to the Hatch Chile Festival, If you were in El Paso it is only a couple hours from you, Or 10 minutes if you drive a rocket.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, Big Springs is a cool area. I went to grad school at Texas Tech and always thought that Big Springs would be a great area to detect. My best friend and golf partner is from Odessa and we tease each other constantly, especially about the enchiladas. I always tell people I live in northern Mexico in a town called San Antonio, Texas and they laugh. NOW, Texas Monthly was rating the mexican food in the state and said, " people in San Antonio will tell you they have the best mexican food. Don't argue with them. They do". But I just finished 4 years of living in Uvalde and 20 miles south of there is Batesville. There is the uglist building in the world that houses YOMI's mexican restaurant. It is close to the border, 60 miles, and a guy posted on the internet that if Jesus had to do a Last Supper again he would do it at YOMI's and order the enchiladas. So I guess you ARE right. Anyway, welcome and good hunting...

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well some of the best BBQ I ever had was in San Antone. Although I had some great BBQ in Austin when I lived there. I have never been to Uvalde, I am jealous. And now I am hungry again.

I was born in Big Springs, but I didn't detect when I lived there. Wow, wouldn't it be sweet to be around those springs? And I would love to "rock hunt" in the Big Bend.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
They yell at you if you pick up rocks. In 1973 the Big Bend had tons of mule deer, no mountain lions, fairly cheap prices and a very cute young ranger named Cindy. She told me that the Black Gap Wildlife Refuge(next door) was starting to protect mountain lions because they were endangered. Two years ago there was no Ranger Cindy, we nearly got runover by tourists, there was no place to camp in the Chisos Basin, I had a scraper and a couple of broken points on my tailgate and got yelled at, threatened and they got confiscated, and there are mountain lion warning signs everywhere that say watch your kid-mountain lion area. Never did see a deer. AHHH-progress and environmental protection. And trust me, don't be jealous of Uvalde.

And now I have to ask, why would you leave Austin? It's like the coolest town on earth. I taught school and college here in San Antonio, but played guitar in a country band on Fri. and Sat. night in Austin. I hate the traffic, love the town. You're right. The best BBQ in the state and so many good places.

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I really did love Austin, but the job thing pushed me East. I still miss Texas, and N.M. My wife is from here in Va. and I am not sure that anything can get Va. women to move away! I have brought her to my old stompin grounds all over the west, and she loves it, but cannot get her to move there, yet.

Hey, did we scare off the new member? Talk to us idontfollow!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, idontfollow. West Texas is a great place. Out of all of Texas I favor the Llano Estacado more, probably cause I know where all the water holes are. I like the food talk. Mesquite wood is highly overrated along with dry rub, but Tejas bbq wins hands down. However, y'all don't have 'Mexican' food, you have 'Tex-Mex'. BIG difference, believe me.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome, idontfollow. West Texas is a great place. Out of all of Texas I favor the Llano Estacado more, probably cause I know where all the water holes are. I like the food talk. Mesquite wood is highly overrated along with dry rub, but Tejas bbq wins hands down. However, y'all don't have 'Mexican' food, you have 'Tex-Mex'. BIG difference, believe me.

You actually found a water hole on the llano estacado? You're a better man than me. I spent two years at Texas Tech grad school and hiked the north fork of the double mountain fork of the Brazos River(or something like that). Some girl made me go. There wasn't enough water to float a canoe. As for mexican food, you and I know that, but don't tell the latinos. They think that their food is Mexican Food, the sign "Authentic Mexican Food" is on most of their restaurants(don't tell me you haven't seen them) and you'll hurt their feelings if you tell everyone the truth. Really? A real water hole? Wow!!!

OP
OP
idontfollow

idontfollow

Sep 4, 2012
I've just moved to west Texas a few years ago so i am a west Texas resident for the second time, actually. Born in San Angelo, transplanted to easy Texas where I had a contracting business in the oil field. Now I find myself even father west than I started out. West of Odessa by forty miles. I am working north of Snyder at present and the rock hunting is the best I've ever seen. Fossils galore, too. And the best spots I have encountered are so chock full of wildly vivid color stones that I have to pinch myself and blink my eyes to make sure I'm not dreaming. I will post a few examples when my fiancee and I get back to work tomorrow.

OP
OP
idontfollow

idontfollow

Sep 4, 2012
Thank you!! What a "welcome wagon"! I feel at home already...

Who in their right mind puts egg on top of enchiladas? Texan, born and raised. Love Tex-Mex. Love Mexican food. Best chili cook there ever was, big fan of cajun as well. Anything that makes you sweat while you eat is good for me. But egg on enchiladas sounds like a breakfast burrito gone awry.

papatom

Dec 13, 2012
Fredericksburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
None yet
I am also new to this site. I was brought up in a huge town ( VALENTINE, TEXAS ) 210 pop. I plan on going back there, I know where all the treasure is buried.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Austin,Texas,I to like to hunt for rock & other treasures.:thumbsup:

dram10

Jun 23, 2014
San Angelo, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All

new member in San Angelo, also new to detecting, sum total of three clad pennies and one dime to my name lol, not including the plethora of pull tabs, nails and washers.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've 'transplanted' from Texas to Idaho, in 2007. I really love it up here; but gee, I miss Texas. I was born in Hillsboro in 1942 and moved to Waco in 1979. Love Tex-Mex and Cajun food. (And several other ethnics foods!) Here in Idaho, there are a lot of Mexican restaurants. Some of them have 'decent' food; some just don't 'cut it'. There is only one that I have been in that have sopapillas and they are not the puffed up kind. They are flat. It's ridiculous. Most of the restaurants don't even know what they are!!! I was in a restaurant in Boise about a week ago and asked (after I had eaten) if they had sopapillas. The lady assured me that they had the kind that I was looking for. Can't wait until I get back up there in a couple of weeks to see if she knew what she was talking about. Hey, I can hope!!
I've only been in southern parts of Texas a few times and almost never in northern and eastern Texas. Just central and some of west Texas. I have cousins in Burleson, Ft. Worth, Dallas, Houston, Athens, Waco, Hillsboro, and one up close to the Oklahoma/Texas border. I really don't know if I'll ever get the chance to revisit Texas or not. I was there in 2010 for about two-and-a half months, then for almost 3 weeks in 2012. So many friends down there I'd love to see again. So many sites to be visited again and again. Oh well, maybe some day. I will be 'replanted' there in Hillsboro in the end, in my plot! lol

Sorry, I almost forgot the reason I started this reply! Welcome aboard Tnet. By far, one of the best treasure hunting forums on the 'net!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
imagesCA9WICES (2).jpg

Top Member Reactions