Northern Oklahoma Newbie

Oct 11, 2012
ponca city
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to tell everybody Hi.Im a whole two week veteran at metal detecting and thought I would get a good start by joining up to this site.I bought a Whites Coinmaster Pro and have only been out a few times.Wasn't for sure if I would catch metal detecting fever but I have to admit it only took one time out and I caught it!!!!!I hope I can learn alot from reading what people post.I'm not sure where to start out finding good places to detect around my area but I'm sure by the time I browse the net I can come across a few........I wish everybody good detecting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Enid!

If you want to find good places to search, spend time in the library.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, kaycountysooner, from here in Summit County, Colorado, where everybody's high all the time. (a joke about the elevation, not legal marijuana)

OP
OP
K
Oct 11, 2012
ponca city
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason and RGINN....Jason do I try to find old maps of my city or county at the library?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where to begin.... Many pages can be typed trying to explain all there is about this type of research....

OK, you should start in your library's local history section, especially if they have a special collections room for things like old phone books, yearbooks and local papers on microfilm. Concentrate on things from the 1940s and earlier. I know that silver coins were made until 64, but you need to find places that had enough time for enough silver coins to be lost. Anyway... Look for maps that show the city parks. Look at yearbook photos for where the hangouts were. Read the old papers for mentions of 4th of july celebrations, community picnics, swimming holes, etc. PHONEBOOKS! The old ones were often cross-referenceable by address. You can find out what vacant lots used to have houses, how many houses, the work the residents did, and how old the houses were. Yes, there used to be a LOT of info in those books.

You can spend months just looking up all that info, so I will leave you with that. I think I need to write a "how to research" page for my website. Guess it's time for another update!

OP
OP
K
Oct 11, 2012
ponca city
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the information Jason....it will give me plenty of ideas.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason one of the things you should point out to folks is practically every little town in Oklahoma had a yearly fair. That little town I came from had the oldest one in Oklahoma, and pretty much in the same spot since 1904. Local fairgrounds and rodeo grounds are good spots and fairly easy to locate.

catch

Nov 1, 2012
PONCA CITY, OKLAHOMA
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Sooner. I am new to the detecting group too and i am also in Kay county by Ponca city. I would be interested in grouping up with you sometime to do some research and hit some spots. I think we could learn together. Let me know.

dubyaj

Jun 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy,

OU has a pretty extensive on line collection of historic maps and info and be sure to check out a little known university in Austin TX with the initials UT. They have a great online map collection also.

There are also a couple of Civil War sites in Northern Oklahoma.

Dubya

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from New Hampshire! :hello:

MD is a great hobby and TNet is a great place to meet friends, get advice, "brag" about your finds and get answers to your questions.

HH (Happy Hunting),
Anita

P.S. I use a Coinmaster with a DD-Shooter (Prizm) coil. Have found coins and some jewelry with it. Good luck with yours!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread