Beginner

hillbilly851

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im 19 years old,i live out in the sticks of WV i like to do stuff like this in my free time to stay outta trouble,within 5 miles of my house there is a old natrual gas compressor station that has been oit of service since the 1940s its rumored to have been developed in the 1870s or so ive seen pictures it was like a small town,company store blacksmith whole nine yards. But even closer to my house there are sits of old houses ,you can see the temails of the cut atones and still remotely see the roads,howhow would i approach findin anything around there? I thin

OP
OP
H

hillbilly851

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be fun to find things even if it was worthless,i just want sugestions on how to approach this properly

OP
OP
H

hillbilly851

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if im on the wrong part of the form just let me know!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill hilly, welcome to t-net.
Down the road you can hit general forum if you don,t locate a more specific area of interest.
Regarding where to hunt in your area,you have lots of choices. Depends what your after. For say coins one old saying is to find where either alot of people got together for a short amount of time,or where a few people got together all the time. Lots to find for ideas on some of the threads here. You will find places elsewhere on this site. Some places to consider,some depend on age of community. Picnik grounds,including church harvest suppers and revivals,popular swimming areas,pay phone locations,old gas stations including where an out door pop machine was,shade during summer heat,parking areas including where horses were watered,cloths lines,out house paths,around springs and wells. While a field plowed over the years can have a coin dropped now and then if its not turning up things from previous activities little will be there compared to a strip of grass between the road and the buildings in a town. Again its the number of people and time again. old home steads have stuff around,imagine where people were the most and also where you would hide something too. Find the place they dumped old bottles and stuff,most every old place had such a place.Stuff can turn up any where people have been though,including what people hid. Be polite to the old folks around and they can be a good source of information. As well as a library and old maps and news papers from the area you research. Good luck.

Leslie is spot on ,follow his advice first!

Last edited:

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose.....welcome to the hobby and the forum. Make sure me son that you read the ethics code forthe hobby and never detect on private land without permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread