Hello from Nashville, TN

climber2013

Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to the metal detecting world. I am in the market to purchase my first detector. I thought I'd start on TreasureNet and see if I could get some advice.

I have several questions that I hope you won't mind answering for me. (If this post should be in a different section, my apologies ahead of time)

My budget is about $500.

Which brands are good for coin hunting? Buttons? etc.

Which detector is an all around good choice for weekly use?

What accessories do I want and which brands? I've seen videos of guys using what looks to be a probe that they stick in the hole to pinpoint the coins, etc.

I've heard that discrimination is important but I've also heard that tuning some of the detectors out there can take a college degree, haha! I'd like one that has somewhat of an easy learning curve.

I'm sure I'll have more questions at some point. Thanks for the help!

B

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania! I am sure a few member's will jump in shortly with recommendations.

OP
OP
C

climber2013

Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania! I am sure a few member's will jump in shortly with recommendations.

Thanks vpnavy! I'm looking forward to getting started with a new detector. I've spoken to someone today who's an expert and he recommended the Minelab xTerra 505. The 705 is about $150 more and has automatic ground balancing and a backlit display. I'm sure the backlight isn't that big of a deal but the GB is apparently very important. Do you guys agree?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions