Im hooked!!

River brand

May 26, 2013
South Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I'm Jason from Texas and I'm really excited to be able to join you all. I just started metal detecting and it was by coincidence. But now I'm hooked and anxious to talk and maybe even meet some of you one day.
If your interested in my story, here it is.
About a month ago I was talking to a guy that has been working for us for about a year. I noticed a metal detector in the back seat of his truck and we started talking about metal detecting. He was telling me about all this treasure around texas and on and on. I asked him if he found anything worth anything and he said no but that he hasn't had a chance to go much. I asked him where I could buy a detector, I thought my two daughters (3 and 5) would enjoy "treasure hunting".
He told me that detectors were expensive and for me to use his. I took him up on the offer and had to listen to instructions on how to use it for another hour. All I remembered was how to turn it on. Didn't matter I wasn't to interested anyway.
So my girls and I went out to one of the ranches that we lease. We went out on a hill and turned the detector on. That stupid machine beeped non stop. Of course I didn't remember what he told me about what the different beeps meant, so I dug holes all day.
I have to admit it was fun even though I was worn out from digging. We found just about everything from old nails to pieces from an old wood burning stove. Then I was digging and couldn't find what the detector was beeping on. I'd dig it would beep. I'd sift through the dirt and never saw anything. So I'd try again. I'd beep and I'd dig. Finally I pinpointed the source of the beep and it looked like a dirt rock. Then I could tell it was something small, too small to be a coin, so I got my pocket knife out and started scraping the caked on dirt off of it.
Finally could see some color. It was gold colored but no way did I ever think it was real. But it was, it was a gold button. Cuff button I assume, don't know for sure but I do know its real gold and that I'm hooked.
So that's how it started and I know now I wasn't supposed to scrape it with my pocket knife to see what it was. The guy that owned the detector lectured me on how to dig for an hour. Then he was so mad that I found gold on my first trip he gave my girls his detector. Which I argued with him not to do that and offered to give him some money for it, but he refused.
So here I am, borrowing a detector from my kids and ready to go again.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. Welcome from the Alamo City...

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread