Whites Coinmaster GT or Xterra 305, or what? Newbie/Rookie here trying to upgrade

Jul 28, 2013
Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, BH Lone Star, BH Discovery 1100, Bounty Hunter Junior, White's Bulleye II PP. Previous owner of BH QuickSilver and another BH Jr. Working my way up.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's Coinmaster GT or Xterra 305, or what? Newbie/Rookie here trying to upgrade

I will be hunting North Florida beaches (dry sand/towel line, near fishing pier, and near water/high tide line with the kids). We already have a few BH models that we play with. But I'm trying to spend no more than $400 on something better for dry sand and wet sand, not underwater (until I can save up for that). I have looked at the Whites Coinmaster GT at a few dealers, but Kellyco in Orlando area, tried to sell me the Xterra 305..

Are there any Tektronics, Garrett, Fisher, Tesoro, Bounty Hunter or White's that is best suited for beach/dry sand-towel line) hunting in North Florida (Jacksonville area beaches); for $400 and under?

Thank you for any advice/suggestions.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Louisiana. I sure Floridians will soon chime in.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector.gif
Members will jump in shortly with suggestions.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there are any good wet ocean sand detectors for under $400 unless you get an off brand or a used one.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at used 505. Heard great things about them over the 305

OP
OP
W
Jul 28, 2013
Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, BH Lone Star, BH Discovery 1100, Bounty Hunter Junior, White's Bulleye II PP. Previous owner of BH QuickSilver and another BH Jr. Working my way up.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. For now I ended up with the Coinmaster GT. I will save up for a true wet sand, saltwater detector for my next trips to the Atlantic. For the moment, I will be doing hunting/digging more inland in Maryland. The GT did well on loose/drier sand. Since I was out with the young bucks using my Bounty Hunters, I didn't get to try to tweak the beach mode, trac lock, and sensitivity for the wet sand in Jacksonville, Florida. My last day in Florida on Monday, 8/5/2013, I had competition as I arrived at the beach. I tried to be the early bird, but I had to wait for a ride to the beach. Next time I am renting my own car, instead of relying on family. That way I can go out to beach and parks as often and as long as I want. A gentleman with a White's Spectra V3i, was snatching up all the coins left and right, as I was walking towards him. Then around 10am all the beach-goers started putting their towels and coolers in the way. I would upload a pic of my finds (minus the trash I threw away), but my file is too large. HH. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread