Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You didn't mention your state nor the ghost town so cautions like be prepared for snakes, black widow spiders, etc. may not apply. Another caution is wells and privies that may be hard to spot-until it's too late. Get your tetanus shot (rusty nails, etc.).
I'd guess what is still visible has had the most MD searches--in the last +/- 30 years. I would not start there. I would do research to determine where the town dump used to be (probably not visible now) and I'd start there. I'd also seek out where old ball fields and parks were; any place where people congregated.
Old plat maps of the town would give you this information.
Don.....

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Oklahoma for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
treasurefever78

treasurefever78

Aug 28, 2013
In Oklahoma been doing some research on a few places close to my area. Sure these places have been hit before but they are way out in the middle of no where on big ranches. Lot of the old wagon trails run through this area and some old battle sites. Should be a fun place to start for the first go around. It will be a couple of weeks before we get to go. I will post pics if I find anything cool.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Louisiana....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think my son and I are going to go to a ghost town for our first metal detecting adventure. Just a few foundations left from bank and post office. Any thoughts on this for the first time out. Any reasons why we shouldn't start there.

Not trying to flame you, but please be sure to have permission before you set foot on the land. Not saying you don't, but I have seen enough people come into the hobby who thought it was fine to just go hunt.

Blackadder

Aug 26, 2013
The Netherlands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 XB, Whites Surfmaster Amphibian II, Coinmaster Pro, Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and HH and bring your EMF meter also when visiting a ghost town :laughing7::thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread