New Mexico (at least) by covered wagon w/gold pan ISO

Giddy Up

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
Panning at present
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Yall! This spring hubby and I are planning (prepping now) to head out West via horse pulled covered wagon. I use to live in Gold Dust, my Dad was a prospector there in the early 1960's. I realize all the many changes that have taken place since then. Would still like to at least step back in time and journey through there if that is at all possible? Any one here know if that house on the hill top is still there?
Any suggestions where we might be able/allowed to camp over night around there and maybe do some panning for ol'times sake?

We're just journeying the West, so open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Giddy Up

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: New Mexico for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and that sure sounds fun! ... I went to Silver City allot before this underground copper mine shut down. I do remember I always picked up some good pecan pies in Hillsboro. Its very cool country down that way. Good Luck!

OP
OP
G

Giddy Up

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
Panning at present
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank-You everyone for such warm welcomes!

tamrock, Yeah Silver City area too! My Dad also had some mines in that area in the last yrs of his life. Beautiful area there.
Years later when I was single, I moved back there to Arenes Valley, Madame Millie's place, lol....long after she left there though~ but what a house!
I discovered the house's history after I moved in and was waiting for a water bed to be delivered :)
Gott'a love that New Mexico history!

Hillsboro has just grown too much! The first time we went back and I discovered my school was no longer a school, I had a bad case of teary eyes.
Now, I guess the ol'saloon is gone too???? Maybe they call all that modernization progress, but some things don't need "modernized". It sure took away from us ol'timer prospectors a ton of its own history doing such! Guess Ya can tell, I don't like moving on with the times.

Again, Thanks Yall!
Giddy Up

NoBootyYet

Dec 3, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Alabama and happy trails to you all. Be sure to share your cool finds and maybe the sites along the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread