Greetings from Kentucky!!

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kind of stumbled onto this site while researching how to smelt precious metals online. I thought about trying to get into metal detecting years ago and never pursued the endeavor. I haven't read much from the site yet but am looking forward to getting into the meat of the research and finding treasures of my own. My primary interest is finding old coinage and relics though I have a strong interest in gemstones as well. I've always had an interest in history and the opportunity to combine that with getting out to enjoy the nature God created is highly appealing to me.

I plan to look over much of the forum information before I start asking too many questions but I do have a few starter questions I'd like to ask in conjunction with what I've already read.

1. With my primary interest being in relics and coinage, especially from the revolutionary timeframe, I'm a little worried I will have a hard time finding things near the surface if at all. I'm thinking the best way to get started after reviewing the information on the site is to look at local records for deeds and homesteads in the oldest towns and war troop movements in my local area. I'm close enough to West Point (the oldest registered town in Kentucky - I believe 1775 anyway) where I could likely search the surrounding area with approval of course. I stopped by our local library today just to see what type of research materials they have and came across a small book describing the early history of Kentucky. It talked about the first 4 families that attempted to start a settlement at the mouth of a local river. While it didn't state anything about the location of their homesteads, I feel like a little more research and cross-referencing may yield an approximate area. Also, the book talked about the efforts of a commanding officer to disrupt the train supply lines to area forts. A specific statement provided a date and near pinpoint location of a camp site for the soldier's squad. Is this type of information reliable and worth pursuing or do I need to look for more specific information.

2. Can anyone give me some information supplemental to what's on the site on how to read geological information? I tried to look at a USGS document for Kentucky but it didn't make much sense to me. I did read from another site that the presence of many gemstones/precious metals in our state will be slim due to there not being much prehistoric volcanic activity in this area. I'd like to be able to figure out what I may be able to hunt for and in which areas.

I'm looking forward to jumping into this hobby and making connections with fellow hunters while a member here.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey there Kentucky! We're almost neighbors, I live in MO.. I would start doing research through your local historical society. They usually have good research material, & I have found most of these folks are more than happy to share their knowledge. There is also the library. My little local one has a stash of amazing info that no one seems to use. Good luck TH'ing, & share pics of your finds with us.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Kentucky for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

KyTrout

Greenie
May 25, 2013
Shelbyville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site! I've only been here a bit, but have found lots of useful information and great people.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! You are off to a good start by researching areas to detect. Look for old topographical maps and deed records, also see if your library has access to Sanborn fire maps.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read a few geology surveys about KY, and they do not report finding significant precious metals or gem stones in the state. Some folklore talks about old sliver mines, but nothing has ever substantiated the claims. The northern part of the state can have glacial till with some gold or precious metals in minute amounts. Might want to stick with the artifacts.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome from N. Mississippi. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions